9 inch rear end tag code

• i need the rear axle tag id code for 3.50 traction lock for my 1965 gt k code date is approximately may 3rd any help would be appreciated. thanx....alan

• Ford did not offer a traction lock for a 65 K code.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Ford did not offer a traction lock for a 65 K code.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>But Ford did offer what they called Equa-lock, axel code E for the 3.50 ratio. Other than nomenclature, what were the operational differences between the two?</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://i37.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

Edited by - 65Rangoon on 08/26/2008 08:22:10

• I will rephrase my response on this. A limited slip rear end was available in a 1965 Mustang with an 8 inch rear end. Yes, Ford did offer a 3.50 limited slip 9 inch rear end in 1965 with an E axle code on other Ford products not including Fairlanes. Yes, it would have been an Equa Lock. However it was not available in a Mustang until 1966. That, to my knowledge, is why Shelby went with a Detroit Locker in 1965. The Equa Lock is a lighter duty unit than the Traction Lock that came out in 1968. The Equa Lock has 7 clutches where the Traction Lock has 9. The Traction Lock also uses a preload spring pack where the Equa Lock does not.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• well then can you please inform me of the correct code for the equal loc differential for the 3.50 ratio in my 1965 k code gt ....thanx...

• Alan, if you will please reread my post above you will see that your 3.50 Equa Lock was not available in a 1965 Mustang Hipo and therefore there is no proper tag for one. The 3.50 Equa Lock was not available until the 1966 model year in a Hipo Mustang. There were no Equa Lock rear ends of any ratio available for a 1965 Hipo Mustang.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• when i purchased the car it was missing heaps and one was the doors with the id tag. I have since been able to track down the original engine block and i have been able to purchase a correct rear axle assy with 3.50 lsd in it but no tag so i will have to change the ratio to 3.89 and obtain a repo tag with that info on it. So if someone can please inform me of the correct info for a 1965 3.89 lsd 9 inch rear axle tag i would really appreciate your help...thanx....al

• thank you for nyour effort 289route66 but that post does not clearly state if that code is for a 3.89 traction loc only mentions for a open center with 3.89 ratio i would like the code for a 3.89 lsd

• Alan, The reason that the link 289route66 posted is for an open rear end is because there was no limited slip rear end available from the factory for a 1965 Hipo Mustang regardless of gear ratio. It makes no difference whether it is 3.50, 3.89 or 4.11 as none were available with a limited slip from the factory in a 1965 Hipo Mustang. The limited slip was not available until the 1966 model year in a Hipo Mustang. You are looking for a tag code for a rear end that Ford did not offer from the factory in a 1965 Hipo Mustang.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Shelby 65's had a tag reading

Line one: C5ZA - B FoMoCo within an oval

Line two: 3L89 5CC SP

5CC meaning third week of March 1965

SP probably means special.

Also seen very late 65 Shelby's with a tag

reading C5ZX - A with the rest being the same

except a later date of course.

Please remember that Shelby's got the Detroit Locker.

/Bo

• Very good information Bo. Alan, Keep in mind that Bo is giving you information that is Shelby specific and does not relate to production Hipo Mustangs. You will not find C5ZA or C5ZX tags on any other Mustangs other than Shelbys and he is correct about the SP meaning special.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• thanx greatly to you all for your valuable information, i was unaware that you could not get a limited slip in a 65 k code. this information has helped me alot...thanx again....alan

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!