• When did the C8 replacement balancers first become available? Up until that date if you bought an over the counter replacement balancer was it a C5? I assume none of the over the counter replacements had a date code. Did all the ones put on at the factory have date codes?

Any help appreciated.

Gary

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

When did the C8 replacement balancers first become available? Up until that date if you bought an over the counter replacement balancer was it a C5? I assume none of the over the counter replacements had a date code. Did all the ones put on at the factory have date codes?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Don't recall when the first C8 were available but they were around at least by 71-72. The C5's were available over the counter at least into the last 70's

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I assume none of the over the counter replacements had a date code. Did all the ones put on at the factory have date codes?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

All the over the counter ones had date codes as they had no relationship with being installed on an engine but to indicate when the balancer was made.

Every balancer I've owned or seen has a date code

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Gary, I too have a C5OE balancer with no date. I'm not quite sure what the story is with it...

Britton, I think some were obviously made without a date stamped on them. The one I have is in the original Ford box with a part # C5OZ-6316-C on one lable. Another label that is mostly destroyed has a date of Apr 86 on it.

If all this information on the box is correct, then my balancer is obviously an over-the-counter purchase made in 86.

I got an email from rpm427man and he said the date should be located next to the "Timing numbers." The only timing marks I see on mine is 5 groves that go from the front to the rear of the balancer. No degree marks or numbers whatsoever.

Gary

• Part numbers for dampers are:

C3OZ-6316-A engineer number C3OE-6316-A and C3OE-6316-B (1963-64)

C5OZ-6316-A engineer number C5OE-6316-A (1965-67)

C5OZ-6316-B engineer number C7ZE-6316-A (1967)

C5OZ-6316-C engineer number C8ZE-6316-A (1968)

Engineering numbers are a good indication of when the part was introduced. I have not seen a C3OE-6316-A or C7ZE-6316-A damper, but I would not be surprised if one showed up one day.

• This is great information Bob. It is pretty much what I thought with the exception of the C7ZE-A balancer. I was just never aware of a C7ZE-A one. I have a C3OE-B and it is dated E3 which I thought was fairly early but I guess not if there was a C3OE-A as well.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I have the 482th 289 HiPo produced and it has the C3OE-B damper. It might be a pre-production item, or maybe just the first few engines got them. I just never rule out anything. There could be one out there. Same for the C7ZE-A. Perhaps 500 HiPo engines were made in 1967. C5OE-A was used in 1967. The C8ZE-B came out in 68. Might be a very small window with just a few engines that got the damper. Never know until one shows up. Could be a long wait, but stranger things pop up from time to time.

I have the 482th 289 HiPo produced and it has the C3OE-B damper. It might be a pre-production item, or maybe just the first few engines got them. I just never rule out anything. There could be one out there.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hi Bob,

I have a C3OE-B part with a B3 date. I have no idea what it was originally on it is fully degreed as advertised by Shelby's parts books.

Dan

• The fully degreed ones (had a few) I believe were used onthe over the counter engines and race engines. The regular Shelbys used the same balancer (limited timing marks) as the rest of the K codes.

The B3 tells you it was for an early HiPo. Shelby was getting engines at this time and probably had them fully degreed. On the Fairlanes they were not.

Bob, I assume you're talking about Cobra engines, is that correct?

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!