will a 1968 302 crank fit 67 289 block?

• hi all!!

i recently purchased a 1967 shelby gt 350. The car has the correct hipo k heads, intake and exhaust manifolds. However the car has a 68 302 block. I recently purchased a correct date code 289 block however it does not have the crank. My question to a professional experienced engine builder is; can I use the 1968 302 crank, rods and pistons in the feb. 67 date code 289 block?

Thanks in advance for the answer!

• thanks!...extra horsepower? how so?

Should I be concerned about deck height clearnces? Im putting the car back to specs as much as I can . Using correct flat top pistons and solid lifter cam like the car originally came with. Connecting rod lengths for a 302 are 5.090. For a 289 they are 5.155. This wont be an issue?

Thanks again!

jim

• Official Post

Jim,

The reason the the 302 rods are shorter is that 289 and 302 pistons are the same. Ford made up the stroke difference in the rods. The deck height theoretically will come out the same, barring any manufacturing and machining tolerance errors. Of course you will want to mock up any engine to check deck height if you are going for maximum performance.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• if you have bob's book on the small block V8, in the back I think it tells you how to build a 302 HIPO. if you don't have the book, you should get it. I thought the 302 had longer cylinders too ( to compensate for the longer stroke?).

Edited by - 289kford on 06/01/2007 05:06:52

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

If you have Bob's book on the small block V8, in the back I think it tells you how to build a 302 HIPO. If you don't have the book, you should get it.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That's for sure!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!