• What I have are PosiLocks and not Polylocks and I have been running them for many years with stock chrome valve covers. They save me a lot of trouble with not having to adjust the valves as often.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Having never used these before I assumed polylocks were a unique product. I now see it is kind of a generic name.

Over here I can get Comp Cams polylocks. I have just taken some measurements using plasticene under the valve covers and think I have determined which model of polylock I need. The polylock for standard rockers is 1.300" tall and will only give me about .080" clearance. The polylock for roller rockers is shorter at 1.000" and will give me around .380" clearance so I will get some of those and see if I can get them to work.

Thanks Fred.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

What I have are PosiLocks and not Polylocks and I have been running them for many years with stock chrome valve covers. They save me a lot of trouble with not having to adjust the valves as often.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Fred,

I tend to think of PosiLocks and Polylocks as the same, or at least very similar, things. What is the difference in the ones you use?

Thanks,

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• The PosiLocks name is a set that I have been using for over 25 years on my Hipo. The name most likely originated as something that has the same connotation as Positraction differentials as used in some rear ends. A Positraction differential differs from our Traction Locks and Equa Locks in Fords as they have ramps that force the side gears to positively lock up the clutches rather than depending on springs for preloading the clutches. PosiLocks and PolyLocks are just a brand name and not indicitive of their function as they are the same. Basically they are just a long nut with an internal set screw to hold the adjustment. They are definitely superior to the original jam nuts when using solid lifter camshafts. The Boss 302 engine uses a smaller jam nut on top of the regular jam nut to more positively lock the adjustment.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• With stock studs I found the poly-locks to be too tall for the open letter Buddy Bar valve covers unless the baffle/shield was removed.

Although the standard retort of 'you're not torqueing them right' can be applied to all of the following here are some problems many have encountered with polylocks:

They can place a strain on the final upper threads of the stud and have been known to snap the stud up within the poly lock-they must be tightened only to stress not strain-which can depend on the specific grade of the steel of the particular stud-they can be different- and sometimes softer can be better;

When adjusting your lash one can soon see that you have to take into account the stretch when tightening the internal jam-nut. Your final lash may well change upon tightening-almost like setting the dope on a weapon;

My Boss 302 with the stock dual nut set up (and 7/16" studs) is/was so much easier than my HiPo 289 that I ended up running dual nuts on my K motor and parked the poly-locks;

Many though do run the poly-locks without issues FYI.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!