Exhaust manifold lock tabs (Hipo)

• Any suggestions as to how to best bend the tabs away from the bolt heads while engine is IN the car?

I need to replace mine that have started to get a bit ugly, also would I be right in shooting some high heat clear paint on the new ones before installing to try & preserve them? Thanks!

• I used a combination of several chisels, long pry bars, pliers and side cutters with an occasional hammer (and some wine) to get the tabs open. Consider some new exhaust bolts from AMK while you are there. If the manifolds are removed (like to paint them), remember to put a spark plug with a spark plug socket on the plug in the last cylinder on each side to insure the socket will fit after tightening the bolts. In removing my RH manifold, I found easy access to the starter cable so I replaced it.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

thats a job, you have to remove the exhaust h pipe and then try not to scratch the car. I would use some steel wool and metal prep and then oil

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

What is "metal prep" and where can I buy it?

• "Metal Prep" is a common automotive paint supply store item.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

You can wiggle the tabs back straight with a flat tip screwdriver. You may decide to just replace them though. We've been finding what appears to be originals dipped in black paint before installation.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thanks Charles!! If I go ahead and replace the locks what would you recomend to reproduce the "dipped" look in something that won't burn off with the type of heat that the manifolds will see.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!