• Is anyone here running a modern electronic voltage regulator either with a reproduction original cover or just the way it comes from the local parts store?

The reason I ask is the reproduction unit that was installed on my Kar during the restoration was evedentally defective right from the start causing the infomous "pulsing lights syndrome" (I did check all my grounds first)then installed a common modern electronic regulator from my local parts store and fixed the pulsing.

I have plans on removing the cover from my repro unit and installing it on the electronic unit so it looks close to concours correct.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Is anyone here running a modern electronic voltage regulator either with a reproduction original cover or just the way it comes from the local parts store? .........................."

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I am using the Motocraft modern solid state (electronic) regulator. Your local Ford dealer should have it in stock. I can find the part number if you need it. I used it with the original regulator cover at first. When I installed a Paxton I went back to the cover it came with, as it is more shallow giving me some extra air cleaner clearance.

Z. Ray

• I am running the Motorcraft electronic with AMK's cover.

Works great. AMK used to sell a replica of the original and I used

that unit together with their alternator and the regulator

gave up very quickly. I have a theory that the regulator was built

to Ford Standard, i.e. for an alternator generating 38-42 amps

while the AMK alternator generates 61 amps. Too much in my opinion

which caused the problems.

/Bo

• I am also running a Motocraft solid state VR with the AMK cover, As soon as it was installed that annoying pulsing of the headlights and instrument lights stopped. Works great.

Dave
    6S1757

• I have returned the dime store vr and ordered and now received a Standard Motor Parts (Blue Streak) vr #VR166X, the extreem high end one.

THIS is the one I'm going to swap the reproduction cover over to...what do I use for fasteners? the repro one has a type of pin thing that spreads like a cotter pin on the back to hold the cover on, and many say the '65s all used a simple sheet metal screw to hold the cover on which would make sense if you needed to adjust the points.....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!