Suspension Parts failing/breaking

• I have been advised by my restorer that my newly restored to concours trailered specs 1965 K GT Convertible's:Strut washers could break, control arm bolts could fail, and tie-rod sleeves could fail, plus the already mentioned in a previous post the disc brake proportioning valve and master cylinder could fail.

With all this (execpt the brake part)being brought to my attention after my car was completed and home I am scared to really even back it out of the trailer.....any suggestions or comments?

• you can be hit by an asteroid too. does he just want to buy the car? did he supply all those 'cheap, prone to failure' parts? if the parts are suspect, why would he use them and not say something prior to installing them?

The only thing I can say I heard of was the strut rods breaking, possibly from using the stiff polyurethane bushings. when I replaced mine, I stayed with rubber.

• Not really sure what happened.....he mentioned the proportioning valve and master cylinder verbally as I picked up my car, but the rest of this stuff was very shocking to read in a letter.....

• Get another 'restorer' immediately. The items that were identified as potential failures usually don't. And take out some 'asteroid' insurance quickly, from your local McDonalds.

Jim

• Guys, Thanks for the comments and replies! I feel a bit better now, I had never heard of any of this stuff before & have seen plenty of cars being driven with the parts that seem to be of concern.....

• a gold judge on his way back home from a show with his gold winning car almost got killed when his plated washers pulled through his name is {jake} most everyone knows him.very lucky man. he didnt get hurt.the car took frontend damage as the tire came back the l locked up 'sending all over the highway.did the plater weaken the washer most likly as iam a plater.if coated parts are left in acid to long the parts will become weak.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!