Need to replace my 10"x2.5" drums

• Hello!

My current set of 10"x2.5" rear drums are no longer servicable on my '65 Pony. Does anyone have a lead on a replacement set? Is there a crossover for the small bearing drum on a later make Ford that perhaps is still in production? Trying to stay away from the high dollar racing companies.

Thanks!

mwm

• AAAIIIIEEEE!!! They are $$$$$! Instead of holding a bake sale to raise funds, perhaps someone knows of a crossover to another Ford car where I can get the part cheaper, say from NAPA?

Thanks!

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Their catalogue didn't have prices!

Where did you find the prices?

How much are the 10x2 1/2 drums? I am thinking of getting a pair to have as spares.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

they will send you a catalog w/ a separate price list..

Z. Ray

• Are you measuring drum size or brake size? If you are measuring brake size, you have GT350 brakes and that is why they are so expensive. There are no longer any aftermarket drums suppliers for that size. If that is what you need, I can still come up with some new aftermarket rear drums for 10 X 2 1/2 inch brakes. Drum sizes are generally 1/4 inch wider on the surface than the brake shoes that they are used with.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred,

I would be interested in the aftermarket set you mentioned. PPrince I called to get the pricing. The brakes are definately 10"x2.5" with a 9" rearend. Maybe someone changed them out twenty years ago I don't know, but would like to keep the setup that's on the Pony. Maybe the extra brake will keep away from the soccer parents who can't let go of the cell phone!

thanks fo everyone's input!

mwm

• What did Cobra Automotive quote for the drums? Are they NOS Ford or aftermarket ones?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

What did Cobra Automotive quote for the drums? Are they NOS Ford or aftermarket ones?

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

They are OEM I believe. price in my price list is $ 88.95 (my price list may be out of date).

Complete Shelby drum brake set up is listed at $ 820.00

Z. Ray

• I researched this for 1963-65 Fairlane rear station wagons which use 10x2½" drums. Current replacements are Raybestos 1639, ACDelco 18B455, and NAPA 6401130. I can't tell you for sure, but the same drums are probably used by all three brands. These are finned, not like OEM, but are better than OEM. Prices vary wildly. I got a set at RockAuto.com. They have a closeout sale of $44.79 (15 left), or regular inventory of $73.79. I bought the closeout. The closeout is from a warehouse they are liquidating. 30-day warranty only. Mine were fine. One box was water damaged (old damage), and the outer surface had some surface rust from the damp box. The other was perfect. Your choice.

The center thickness (not to be confused with the center hole size which is correct) is more than the OEM by about .15", so if you don't change your rear axle studs there will be no threads outside the nut (stud end is flush with top of nut). If you want the stud sticking out of the nut by the original amount, then I recommend NAPA BK-6413204 studs. These are not like OEM in that they are silver-colored, but they work perfectly as replacements.

This is what I used on my 1963 Fairlane station wagon. When installed and wheels/tires, and covers put on, you can't see the changes and the drums are better than OEM with the 2½" linings.

• Bob,

Your email is dead on the money! Thank-You for the information, this is the one email I have been waiting on and am now up and running.

THANK-YOU!!!

mwm

I researched this for 1963-65 Fairlane rear station wagons which use 10x2½" drums. Current replacements are Raybestos 1639, ACDelco 18B455, and NAPA 6401130. I can't tell you for sure, but the same drums are probably used by all three brands. These are finned, not like OEM, but are better than OEM. Prices vary wildly. I got a set at RockAuto.com. They have a closeout sale of $44.79 (15 left), or regular inventory of $73.79. I bought the closeout. .........

Thanks for tip. I bought a pair at the close out price, and they look great.

One note, due to the finned design, etc., they do weigh a lot more than the original drums. But the fit is great.

Z. Ray

• Yes, the originals weighed 14 pounds. The finned one weighed 22½ pounds. I considered this a plus because the drum will absorb more heat so will be at a lower temperature than OEM for the same braking. And the fins will greatly improve the shedding of heat as well.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!