prep and painting bottom of car

• Hi everybody

in about two weeks we should be able to paint bottom of 65 conv.installed a one piece floor I know their are a lot of products out their I heard about a product can't remember name but you brush it on and it dries very hard I have seen bottoms painted same color as car does this take away from being org. I would like to meet with someone around Cinti area for info on restoring our car

• What are your future plans for the car? This is the main guiding points for your choose, but remember that any thing short of going original (correct primer/sealer, overspray, chalking and sealant) will limit your choices in the future.

Remember after the unibody... everything else is bolt on

• This is me and my son's project kar trying to keep as org as possible,plan on taking it to a few car shows and Sunday drives you mentioned paint it was suggested we use clear coat base coat

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

This is me and my son's project kar trying to keep as org as possible,....................

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Ok ... had the car been redone before? IF not was the original floor pan/undercarriage color visible?

If not then when and where was the car assemblied?

Answers will lead to what color the car original was an what color you need to return it to.

From there other can offer what they are using (as for type and brand of paint) but IMHO I would use an epoxy primer/sealer toned to match the original color for your car rather than deal with trying to get base coat/clear coat right for this application. Even on cars using that paint process on the body we are still using straight enamels for overspray in the wheelwells and on the undercarriage

• Kar orig. color is twilight turquose built in mich.we are going back with org color just that I have seen cars at shows with bottoms same color as car looks good to me kar has not been restored before

• Based on my own experience I would recommend that you concentrate on keeping the undercarriage color as it originally was. Body color and undercarriage color are expensive and difficult to do over later. Bolt on parts are easy to change, but if you decide you decide to sell or show the car with the wrong body or undercarriage colors you can lose out either way if it is not authentic looking.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Based on my own experience I would recommend that you concentrate on keeping the undercarriage color as it originally was. Body color and undercarriage color are expensive and difficult to do over later. Bolt on parts are easy to change, but if you decide you decide to sell or show the car with the wrong body or undercarriage colors you can lose out either way if it is not authentic looking.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Ditto!

Kar orig. color is twilight turquose built in mich.we are going back with org color just that I have seen cars at shows with bottoms same color as car looks good to me kar has not been restored before

This (floors same color as the exterior) is not something that would be done on a restored car though some overspray from the painting of the rockers would be expected... but just overspray.

Also consider you are restoring a K code... where the end value will be much more (generally) that your typical non- K code.

Of course it is always your choice. But please don't choose how you will restore your car by looking at cars at shows or in magazines.

What color would the underside of a 31k 65 K code fastback ex San Jose be? Body color is Poppy Red.

Thanks

If the car has 31k miles on it, you should be able to clean off some of the underside and find the original primer color.

On an October '64 San Jose car, you will either find red-oxide (variant shades) and/or black underneath.

Charles.... you've seen black on Oct San Jose cars ??

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!