Engine bay paint questions

• I'm getting ready to paint my engine bay. I ordered all the Eastwood underhood black paint, but decided not to use it after talking to a friend about paint types and such. I decided I don't want to go with lacquer.

In my area, the "Rust Tough" Krylon and engine enamel Krylon is available. I haven't seen any of the 1612 or 1613 numbers at the local stores. I like the deep black of the Eastwood paint and don't wan't a dull finish. Looking for a good deep black, eggshell finish. Factory correct isn't as important as a good black, durable paint.

Has anybody compared the Rust Tough Krylons to the 1612/13? I believe the 1613 is a bit dull for my taste, but it seems that's what everybody uses. The 1612 probably is too glossy?? Anything in between???

Thanks for all your suggestions.

• <font face='Comic Sans MS'>Rust-Oleum markets what they call a 'satin classic low sheen finish' in black, P/N 7777. I sprayed the radiator support of a '69 mach I'm working and thought its' appearence was pretty darn good. Can't speak to what it would do in an every day driving environment but I think it would be worth looking into.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid157/p4f8ee1bd214d6f407a7e7df72a842ee9/f5253efc.jpg]

• Yea, Charles - That's why I changed my mind on the Eastwood paint. I want to try the rattle can approach still. I really wonder about the differences in the Rust Tough Krylon vs the regular vs the engine enamel for the bay...

• Hello all.. I have tried various paints to simulate the low sheen engine bay finish. I am a rattle can fan. The best I found is Krylon semi-flat black enamel. Charlie..That rustoleum satin classic low sheen finish paint sounds interesting. I will try it. Thanks, Ed

• I can tell you from experience that the Eastwood Under Hood Black is dead on color and is lacquer which is what the factory used originally.Personally I like it as if you scratch it etc. you can get their spray can paint and touch it up and you can't tell.The Rustoleum Satin is a good color match also but it's an oil based paint and you just put a tad of mineral spirits in to dilute it some but flows out nice and is pretty tough.The smell will kill you for 3-4 days as it stinks but I've used both with good luck.

Edited by - RPM on 04/03/2007 10:52:26

• http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp…e&TOPIC_ID=4712

There are a bunch of threads in the site on this subject. The link above is but one.

I did my engine bay three times before I was satisfied – I did not use a rattle can, but have the extra paint for touch-up. The two paints I considered:

- PPG DAR9000 with DX685 flattener. Get the DX685 spec sheet and mix the flattener and catalyst according to "eggshell" which will give you about a 30-35% gloss.

- Dupont DDL 9423 straight, catalyzed.

The DDL will give you a slightly deeper black appearance than the DAR.

It is recommended to spray a base of DP90LF epoxy primer.

• I painted my engine bay with the Eastwood Underhood Black. It looks good, but is much glossier than the original. It also took months to cure. If I could go back in time and do it again, I'd go with something else.

Gerald

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!