Exhaust System

• What do the experts (you guys) suggest regarding vendors/mfg for a replacement exhaust system for my '65 K conv? I would like to keep it as close to original as possible. I want everything but the exhaust manifolds - pipes, mufflers, hangers, tips, etc.

I've seen positive comments regarding K.A.R. complete system and also Scott Drakes trumpet exhaust tips.

Thanks for the advice.

• You may or may not be aware that there were 3 dual exhaust systems used during certain periods of production throughout 64.5-65. The transverse and "GT" style systems are currently reproduced. The Arvinode system is not reproduced. If you tell us when your car was built, then that will help in determining which system your car had.

• The build date was 2/18/65 - VIN 636078. From what I've been able to determine the Arvindale system may very well have been installed originally.

The car has since had the GT package installed - Trumpet tips through the valance.

Thanks

• From what I have seen, that date would put the car in range of when the Arvinode system was installed. Basically, the Arvinode system is similar to the later GT system except there are long tube mufflers used in place of the short ones. The rear hanger configuration is different also, with no rear frame rail reinforcement or hanger close to the valence. Rather, the rear tailpipe hangers are farther up the frame rail and utilize a large 'C' clamp instead of an exhaust clamp. The hangers attached in the rear seat area are different also.

Here's the Ford drawing:

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/arvinode_system.jpg

Some pictures of original Arvinode exhaust system here:

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/arvinode/

• I have yet to find anyone reproducing the Arvinode system. There is some interest, but the Mustang system was only used for 5 months before it was replaced by the later GT duals, so there isn't much market for it. Bob Mannel says that the engineering drawings are still in Ford's archives so there's a chance it could be faithfully reproduced. The system was used on some of the other Ford cars as well.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have yet to find anyone reproducing the Arvinode system...Bob Mannel says that the engineering drawings are still in Ford's archives so there's a chance it could be faithfully reproduced. The system was used on some of the other Ford cars as well.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

While it's true an "Arvinode" exhaust system was used on other Ford cars, I'm aware of only one other version that is of interest here. The K code Fairlanes were the <i>first</i> 289 cars to use an Arvinode dual exhaust system, which transitioned into production around mid year of 1964 in place of the special, single exhaust used on the 1963 and early 1964 K code Fairlanes. There are <i>significant</i> differences in the short-lived 1965 Mustang system vs the HiPo Fairlane version, mainly due to considerable differences in the chassis. This unique (and somewhat loud) system was made for Ford by the Arvin Company.

• FWIW - I installed a GT style exhaust system complete with H-pipe, mufflers, resonators and all the other pipes from KAR. It fit like a glove. While they are a bit more expensive, they were the only vendor that seemed to truly understand what I needed. I would give them a call. They seemed pretty knowledgable, particularly about K-code exhausts.

• If the drawings for the Arvindale system are truely still available then having it reproduced should not be difficult - just expensive. The Chevy "chambered exhaust" used on the Z28 (and maybe others) is being reproduced and was also used for only a short period of time due to complaints about the noise level.

How would I go about getting the drawings/specificiations ?

• Bob Mannel had mentioned it a while back. It is my understanding you have to request information from the Ford archive library, but I don't know what the criteria is for public access. There is info on Ford's site.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!