• If you are going to go to the trouble of removing them I would recommend you take the extra step and have them replated with zinc phosphate. Steve Gregori will do the hinges and the hood latch parts for about $90.

By the time you get done cleaning up the grease and beadblasting the parts to prep for paint the plating investment doesn't seem so significant.

http://www.brakeboosters.com/services.htm

Edited by - round2K on 08/29/2006 14:46:30

• I'll throw in a second plug for Steve at brakeboosters.com. Had him clear zinc plate a bunch of parts a few months ago. The quality was excellent and the price very competitive, even with the shipping costs. He told me he's definitely looking for more Mustang customers.

Oops! Sorry, didn't notice you were down-under so shipping will be a bigger issue. Worth a quote anyway.........

Edited by - Mad4HiPos on 08/29/2006 23:06:17

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

If you are going to go to the trouble of removing them I would recommend you take the extra step and have them replated with zinc phosphate. Steve Gregori will do the hinges and the hood latch parts for about $90.

By the time you get done cleaning up the grease and beadblasting the parts to prep for paint the plating investment doesn't seem so significant.

http://www.brakeboosters.com/services.htm

Edited by - round2K on 08/29/2006 14:46:30

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I'll give a third reccomendation for Steve. He plated the hinges on my car and a bunch of bolts two years ago for me. Two thumbs up.

Gerald

• Thanks everyone. I'll find out a shipping quotr or try and track someone down over here. There is only some very minor surface rust on them - just dont do the bay justice the way they are now.

• From the website:

"Other pieces priced upon receipt. All items, with the exception of brake boosters, must be free of paint and undercoating prior to shipping to me. Parts that are due to be phosphate plated can be sandblasted. You should never sandblast parts to be plated gold, silver, or black. If you have any questions, please call or email me prior to shipping the parts."

Not such a good deal if the parts have to be stripped before sending them. Where's the value in that? The hood hinges are $95 plus shipping, but that doesn't count removing the paint and crud on them already if that is the case.

• I can't speak for anyone else, but I tried doing it myself with advice from others and failed miserably. If anyone here has a better, faster, or cheaper way and are willing to share that experience with us we all benefit. Do it yourself phosphating is hazardous and messy. To me there was value in not having to deal with that aspect, and I wanted it done correctly. I am a firm believer in referrals from other satisfied customers as a yardstick for a product or service.

• I use a large stainless steel pot for the hood hinges. The solution is about $20 for enough to mix like 2-3 gallons of phosphate. Heat the solution up in the stainless pot to 200 degrees F and then cook the hinges about 15-20 minutes for desired darkness.

Stripping the hinges in a blasting cabinet is the most time-consuming part.

Don't have any problem with getting someone else to do the work, but I would think that for a little more he could strip the hinges in a cabinet also.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I use a large stainless steel pot for the hood hinges. The solution is about $20 for enough to mix like 2-3 gallons of phosphate. Heat the solution up in the stainless pot to 200 degrees F and then cook the hinges about 15-20 minutes for desired darkness.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Where is the best place to purchase the solution?

Thanks,

Gary

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!