• I'd like to use modern Autolite spark plugs in my K engine. Is there a different plug for the K as opposed to a regular 289 or are they now the same for all 289's?

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 08/08/2009 20:52:16

• The modern plug that alot of folks use in the K engines is a Autolite number 45, it is the same plug that folks use in the A and C code 289s as well. There IS NO modern AUTOLITE plug that is the correct heat range, the 45 is just 1 step hotter for the HIPO.

Also alot of folks have sought out and use NOS Autolite BF32s, the ones WITHOUT the stars on them can be bought actually quite reasonably.

• I am running Motorcraft BF42's (BSF42C) 2 years now. Same set, no problems with fouling.

I sold 2 (unused) sets of Autolite BF32's in the 40 dollar each range.

I have some more sets that were in the car for a summer, which is a few hundred miles, if you want the original plugs.

Though Motorcraft does not make BF32, they still do have a BF22, but I thought the 32's were too cold for street driving.

Edited by - 289kford on 08/06/2009 15:49:23

• You can also try Autolite Platinum AP-45 or Autolite Double Platinum APP-45. The main benefit is plug longevity, maybe not a concern if you don't drive that much. I used them with good results until I found out MSD does not recommend them when using a MSD ignition system. Also probably not a concern for most on this forum.

Z. Ray

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I am running Motorcraft BF42's (BSF42C) 2 years now. Same set, no problems with fouling.

Though Motorcraft does not make BF32, they still do have a BF22, but I thought the 32's were too cold for street driving.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I'm currently running 42's in mine, and as long as I don't redline a lot they perform fine. I wouldn't say the 32's are too cold for the street, as long as you get on the throttle enough to prevent fouling.

• I'm using the Autolite Platinum AP-45 with no issues. It's been 3-years since the rebuild and about 3k miles. They even survived my defective 'new' yellow top coil dilemma (that I wrote about last year) as well. My original '66 coil is still performimg flawlessly!!

Mark

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I am running Motorcraft BF42's (BSF42C) 2 years now. Same set, no problems with fouling.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I'm currently running 42's in mine, and as long as I don't redline a lot they perform fine. I wouldn't say the 32's are too cold for the street, as long as you get on the throttle enough to prevent fouling.

I've used original BF-32's for years without any problems. With 4.11 gears it's not too tough to keep the revs up.

I did try BF-22's for a short time but they were too cold.

Dave
    6S1757

• I picked up a set of 45's just not sure what gap to use. They are factory gapped at .042. the Ford manual calls for .028-.032 for BF-32's and .032-.036 for BF42's.??

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!