Dual-Redline Bias-ply or Radial ?

• I see a new set of dual-redline tires in the near future for my Konvertible, but I can't decide on bias-ply or radials. I'm running a 20 year-old set of Bedford bias redlines now. They still look brand new. Definitely a white-knukle drive all the way. I still love the way the bias tires look, but I miss the radial ride.

If I decide on radials, then do I go with Coker, Diamondback or other? 195/70R14 or 205/70R14? Somebody push me over the edge so I can make a decision soon.

[Blocked Image: http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL481/4004422/8310609/216775018.jpg]

Edited by - 65gt on 12/28/2006 18:00:18

• I love my diamondback 205/70R14's on 5.5 inch 67 wheels. Makes a world of difference in the ride and handling.

I've had many comments on the diamondbacks at shows. Everyone wants to know where I got them...

I gotta recommend the DB's

• I agree with Meryln on the Diamondbacks. If you enjoy driving the car then the flimsy bial ply tires take the fun out of entering a turn. I have the 205/70R14 Diamondbacks on 14x6 repro SS rims and it works very well. Ditto on the shows; people that have never seen them want to know where they came from. If you call Diamondback you can speak with them at the main office and they'll answer all your questions. When I was doing my research it seemed like the Coker tires weren't quite as close to the originals in appearance.

[Blocked Image: http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/8871/shastaus9.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/455/193a7cd11f414537b8006e6at1.jpg]

Edited by - round2K on 12/27/2006 23:34:20

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I love my diamondback 205/70R14's on 5.5 inch 67 wheels. Makes a world of difference in the ride and handling.

I've had many comments on the diamondbacks at shows. Everyone wants to know where I got them...

I gotta recommend the DB's

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I'm also a fan of diamondback tires. I installed the tires in my signature picture in October. I'm running 205/75R14's on 5 1/2 inch "67 sized" rims (1/2 inch wider than stock). I wanted a slightly larger tire, and wrestled between 205/70R14's and 205/75R14's. I ended up going slightly shorter "75's" as I already had the same size on the car in white walls and liked the look.

In any case, the diamondback's look great, not to mention handle nicely. The diamondback Supreme's are actually Firestone Si's. Their sidewall process leaves the Firestone name intact which gives the tires a nice period look. They're custom made, so expect 3 weeks from order to delivery. Definitely worth the wait (and $$). Kevin

Edited by - keviha on 12/28/2006 14:20:42

Edited by - keviha on 12/28/2006 14:21:30

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Do both brands, Diamond-back and Coker dual redline radials have the raised redline, not recessed?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I can say diamondback dual redlines are raised. I'm sure someone with Coker's can confirm how their process to adding the redlines.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I wanted a slightly larger tire, and wrestled between 205/70R14's and 205/75R14's. I ended up going slightly shorter "75's" as I already had the same size on the car in white walls and liked the look.

Isn't the 70 series the shorter, wider tire?

Those old Bedford dual-redlines of mine are recessed. Were the original redlines raised or recessed?

Edited by - 65gt on 12/28/2006 19:45:48

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I wanted a slightly larger tire, and wrestled between 205/70R14's and 205/75R14's. I ended up going slightly shorter "75's" as I already had the same size on the car in white walls and liked the look.

Isn't the 70 series the shorter, wider tire?

Those old Bedford dual-redlines of mine are recessed. Where the original redlines raised or recessed?

Yes, I mis-spoke....the smaller the aspect ratio, the wider the tire in relation to its height. So my 75 series tire is slightly taller.

Edited by - 65gt on 12/28/2006 18:26:03

• I swapped a set of bias Coker reproductions for a very nice set of Diamondback dual redline radials last spring and so far I love 'em. My repros Cokers had the redlines inset and the Diamondbacks have the redlines raised for what it's worth. If you're going to drive the car, radials are the way to go in my humble opinion. It's nice to have tires available with a retro look but with all the advantages of modern technology. The folks at Diamondback were also very pleasant to deal with and I recieved them quickly as well.

Happy Hunting,,, Dan

• The original bias-ply dual redlines had the redlines "recessed" in the tire sidewall. My uncle bought his 64 1/2 HiPo coupe with them on it (he fried them off in 9,000 miles and replaced them with GoodYear Bluestreaks).

I switched to radial tires back in 1970, and would not even consider going back to bias-plys. My cars are too valuable to me to drive them on bias-plys. I have the wider, lower profile (205/70x14) Diamondback redlines on my car. The redlines are "raised" instead of recessed, but that's a concession I'm willing to live with.

[Blocked Image: http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/data/500/10170redlines.JPG]

The Diamondbacks look and ride great.

regards,

Jeff

• The Diamond Back website lists over 4 different styles that are available in the 195 and 205 sizes -- SE, Alpha, DB III, 500s and the Supreme. Keviha went with the Supremes. Any others remember their styles?

Diamond Back and Coker prices are close. Since I live in Tennessee and Coker is also located in Tennessee, I would have to pay almost 10% sales tax on the Cokers.

Edited by - 65gt on 12/30/2006 20:28:41

• You might want to call Diamondback. I only remember there being one style of dual red line when I bought mine, and as mentioned earlier, they are based on the Firestone radials.

Pulled my invoice and it says "Supreme Dual Redline Tire".

Edited by - round2K on 12/31/2006 09:43:16

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The only Goodrich dual-redline I saw on the website was a 205/70R14.

Even though I like a wider tire (60 series) on the rear I think a 205/70R14 is a perfect size for our classic mustangs. I see Cokers market strategy. I'd like to see a set of these...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!