Wanted - Shifter Washer -

• I need either parts or a source for the large wavy washer used in the manual transmission shifter, p/n 379575-S. It is 1.063in ID, 1.750in OD, 0.017in T. Ref Ford Car Part Ill section 73, pg 4. I need three. it is not listed in AMK Products literature.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Most Hardware stores stock spring washers

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I agree with Jim. I rebuilt my original shifter linkage using hardware store wave washers slightly thicker than stock. Tightened things up considerably but still very smooth.

Dave
    6S1757

• I sent off an e-mail to whom I assume is Bill Heeley after I found some references to shifters on e-bay ( fordshifterinfo@verizon.net ) and the reply was a bit disheartening as they sell the wavy washer as part of a kit (spring, washers and interlock). All I need is the washer. I'm being a bit critical, but a business in this case exists to sell and to sell what a customer wants and/or needs. The kit sounds like a bit of overkill for me and I don't want to throw away stuff I'm not going to use. The local hardware stores (Orchard Supply Hardware in California) don't carry anything that large in diameter so my customer will have to make do with a used item. I'm still looking.

Jim

• I sympathize with your discontent, but in this particular case, in my opinion, sooner or later the springs will need replacement & you will be better off replacing them as a set with the washers.

Z.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I sympathize with your discontent, but in this particular case, in my opinion, sooner or later the springs will need replacement & you will be better off replacing them as a set with the washers.

Z.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

+1, I agree 100% with ZRay! Bill Heeley has these parts packaged like this for a reason and believe it or not I don't feel its money oriented.

• I got two new c-clips and springs thru other sources and needed only the washers. I simply stated that the "kit" approach was not to my liking. It's the capitalist way, and as a capitalist (both as an employee and as a business owner), I understand completely but dissagree with that particular approach. It's the laws of supply and demand, with a twist.

Jim

• Grainger - good call. There's a store about 3 miles from me. The web site has an acceptable substitute washer, a smaller OD by 0.060 in, in a 10 pack for $20.00.

Thanks,

Jim

Bill Heeley Olney, MD is the shifter man

+1!!!! Bill is a really GREAT guy and a GREAT, HONEST businessman!!

He rebuilt my original shifter for my K code and after receiving it he called and went on for 5 solid minutes about just how virgin/original it was, stated that it had never been apart, adjusted, or messed with in any way, and that there was virtually NO wear on it to speak about! he himself, being the Ford shifter guru couldn't believe what he was seeing-said it had been a LONG time since he's seen one this nice-the car was my Brother-In-Law's and he did all the same stuff we all did back in the day in street racing and hot rodding and all but somehow the shifter survived in this shape, BILL cleaned up my shifter beutifully and rebuilt it, exchanged my chrome handle (per his system) and returned it to me with a new boot installed and a new knob too, and sent it back BEFORE I paid him!! I called him and asked what I owed him and he said just what was on his invoice inside the box and whatever shipping charge was shown on the box, what a guy!!!

This all said, I certainly understand someone not wanting to buy unnessery parts or pieces to save on costs, no harm, no foul.

• Ah, ye of little faith - wavy washers are in my hand, and they fit. I ordered them yesterday and picked them this morning from Grainger (overnight from the local central warehouse).

I prefer to do as much Mustang (Shelby too) restoration as I can myself so the quality of work of certain vendors was not in question, only the price. I had a need for three, and after I related this tale to others, I sold off two more washers. Apparently I'm not alone in the "do it yourself" circle.

Back to Grainger, I used their on-line catalog to select some other restoration items, rivets used in 64-66 console ashtray, rivets used in the dash ashtray and o-rings used on the button for the outside door handle. I just got six of the original buttons rechromed (yes, there is a difference from reproduction) so I am ready for assembly.

Jim

• i still don't understand why you bought 10 and only need two. yet you didnt buy the proper kit from Bill or Brant/ I went to ace hardware and they have them for 30 cents each

• The required wavy washers are 1.063 inch inside diameter, 1.750 inch outside diameter, 0.017 inch thick and are multiple wave. The substitute is 1.010 in id, 1.692in od, 0.020 in thk, all dimensions with-in reason. One is needed for each top loaded shifter at the outer end of the slider shaft. I needed three for three different shifters, sold off two to others (I got $15 of my original cost back), and have 5 left over. The ones Brant sells are for the shifter arms on all AT and MT (different quantities) transmissions and fit a 5/16 inch dia shaft to the appropiate arm on the transmission. The kits are $20 each and I needed three, $60 total, but did not need any of the other kit items. Simple, no?

Jim

Edited by - jwc66k on 12/10/2010 00:22:24

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!