Alternator pulley

• Where can I buy a correct larger pulley for my Alternator? I am not looking to buy a correct alternator right now, I just want to put a larger pulley on the one I currently have. Part of the reason is, I don't have the original hipo motor in the car right now (slowly being built). I guess it really doesn't matter if I have the correct pulley right now, but thought it might matter for other things on the car?

• The larger pulley serves to slow down the alternator when you are revving the Hipo engine in things such as racing so it won't over charge.....as long as you are not hammering your substitute engine hard all the time then you are fine with a standard pulley.

As far as finding a replacement correct Hipo pulley there are decent repros out there if you are not concerned with having numbers on it, or possibly watch Ebay or advertise on here if you want an original.

• We have the correct one for your car.

[Blocked Image: http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/Assets/ProductImages/EG2192.jpg]

http://www.virginiaclassicmustang.com/STEEL-HI-PO-AL…NISH-P1113.aspx

Description:

289 HiPo Alternator Pulley. Steel with correct black finish.

Features part number C5AF-10A352-C stamped in face of pulley just like the original. Part number is stamped in a straight fashion-exactly like the original. This is the earlier style pulley that was used from the beginning of the 289 High Performance Mustang production (with alternator) to approximately May 1965 production.

This pulley also features the circular machining marks like the original.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Please be aware of that the -C pulley needs a specific fan

with a flat middle and a specific spacer as well.

/Bo

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Does anyone have a picture of the fan?

• I'll bet Brant does, I didn't realize that there were reproduction pulleys on the market with the correct part number on them either!! (BRAVO again BRANT!!!!)

Edited by - 6hypo5conv on 11/24/2010 07:42:59

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Thanks Brant for posting the pictures!! is the spacer unique to the Hipo application?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

It is unique to all of the "earlier" applications that use the flat style fan, not just the HiPo's. Since the fan is flat, there needs to be a spacer behind it. I believe Bob Mannel's Small Block Ford some very nice pictures and information on this.

Just checking, it looks to be the right blade, but is the pulley the correct one for it?

Pulley is incorrect for a HiPo car. HiPo's used the larger pulley as shown above.

• You just got to keep everything together as a set. Until about April 1, 1965, the HiPo pulley was C5AF 10A352-C (straight) and was used with the 1/4" spacer and flat-faced fan. From April 1, 1965, the HiPo pulley was C5AF10A352-H (arched) and used the 5/32" spacer and convex center-section fan. As with most Ford dates, that April 1, 1965, should be considered as "about" because we never know if Ford was referring to planning date, actual date, engine assembly date, car scheduled date, or a target date.

• Call me crazy, but not knowing what my car had originally - and knowing how Ford probably worked - I paid a few large bills $$$ for a complete original "C" pulley, fan, and spacer a few years back. My car is a Dearborn mid-April '65 K code and like Bob says - we don't know exactly when things happened. I decided to err on the side of Ford using up the old stuff first and the April 1st date being a target rather than a firm cutoff.

It is important to get all 3 pieces, but any good alternator shop may be able to take care of you on a fan and spacer to make the repop pulley work. Might not look 100% original but they should be able to make it work.

Nice to see the repop, but the lack of fan and spacer is disappointing since they really do need to be a set. Maybe Scott Drake can comment on or fix this - they may have everything you need - just not all in one package.

• The question is if the -C marked pulley sold by Brant has

the built in spacer at the back or if it's like the original

flat. That's what decides which fan and alternator spacer needed.

65 Shelbys built at San Jose in the end of May early June have been found to have the -C pulley.

/Bo

Nice to see the repop, but the lack of fan and spacer is disappointing since they really do need to be a set. Maybe Scott Drake can comment on or fix this - they may have everything you need - just not all in one package.

It is difficult to explain, but it just boils down to the "numbers" and lack of knowledge. We are always learning new things, and I think the flat alternator fan thing is just something that lots of people are not familiar with. Maybe one day, we will see a reproduction of this fan. For right now, the huge majority uses the other fan. The spacer should be fairly easy to come up with something that works. That said, maybe that is something that can be "put on the table" for the future, and I will suggest it.

Frankly, it is surprising that the earlier pulley is even available. We don't sell that many of them.

The question is if the -C marked pulley sold by Brant has

the built in spacer at the back or if it's like the original

flat. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Bo,

If I recall correctly, the original early pulley is not completely flat on the back. It's "built in" spacer is just shorter than the later one.

[Blocked Image: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FhFCoO_tIME/TPfCFxuYXgI/AAAAAAAARVY/6pEm75catf0/s400/IMG_2399.JPG]

[Blocked Image: http://lh5.ggpht.com/_FhFCoO_tIME/TPfCGSgIzgI/AAAAAAAARVg/BHGOQDJK_3c/s400/IMG_2400.JPG]

Later Pulley

[Blocked Image: http://lh3.ggpht.com/_FhFCoO_tIME/TPfCGwxQWrI/AAAAAAAARVo/V4aA4OfgdmU/s400/IMG_2401.JPG]

Early Pulley

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!