Hipo trans and main caps

• Hi, I have a HEH-BT trans which I understand was a close ratio mustang trans from 2-1-65, would this be correct for a 1965 hipo mustang from 2-1-65 on.

I also found a set hipo looking main caps with a date code of 17K2 cast on them along with the cap number. They are identical to the 1965-66 hipo's but with the date code and no part number on the rear cap. would these be correct for a hipo engine?, thanks for any help, Gary

• Unfortunately the HEH-BT trans is a WIDE ratio top loader and not correct for a HiPo.

The large main caps with date codes are from a Mexican block 302. They show up on eBay all the time and are very similar to HiPo main caps. May people use them as replacements when building a replacement engine to substitute for a missing HiPo 289. But they are not "factory correct" HiPo caps.

If you put these caps on a different block (other than the one they came on from the factory) you will need to line hone the block and caps so that they are true to each other - this needs to be done by a very good machine shop and care needs to be taken not to remove too much material - otherwise you will have major problems.

• Thanks Ralph for the info. David Kee's directory lists this HEH-BT as a close ratio, guess it's a tipo. I need a HEH-T, my car has 4H thru 4J date codes. I have an incorrect trans in my car, it is out of 6R07K151783, HEH-BX, 011804 tag. If I can get a correct trans for my car I would like to get this back to it's rightful owner, it was installed in my car in the 80s in SoCal. Thanks again, Gary

• Official Post

Charles is correct that a close ratio has a 28 tooth second gear, however a wide ratio has 31 teeth rather than 25.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Official Post

David Kee's directory is defintely in error on this one as the Ford parts manual clearly states that an HEH-BT is for a standard 289 from 2-1-65. There are three other tag codes listed for cars built prior to this. If you look closer at the David Kee directory you will notice that there is not a Hipo trans listed prior to the 2-1-65 date other than the HEH-T which lists from 8-20-64 to 10-1-64. There is a listing in the David Kee directory for the HEH-BR for a standard 289 as one of the trans codes prior to 2-1-65. I use the David Kee directory a lot as it save me the trouble of opening my parts manuals as they are heavy and awkward to move around. This is only one of two errors that I have encounterd in the David Kee directory so far. They are only human and they are just trying to provide a service to all of us. We have also found out through this forum that the HEH-T was used long after the Ford manual stated that it was.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Kevin,

Check the history on the site - search on HEH-T or transmission and read all the posts that come up. Many owners have posted what tranny type is in their car and when their car was built.

My mid-April '65 has a HEH-T with a VIN stamp - so you may need an HEH-T - but you need to find some owners with cars closer to your build date to be sure.

I hope this helps.

• Gary,

I've got a rebuilt HEH-T with no VIN I'd consider working out some sort of trade for your HEH-BX. I'd like to have a correct spare for my '66. It's not for sale, only for trade. Give it some thought and let me know. I'm in Charlotte, NC.

Regards,

Mark

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!