1966 K-Code GT Fastback *Updated*

• It is with regret that I have decided to sell my '66 K GT Fastback. This is a restored car and is priced as such. This car has its original numbers matching (vin on the block and the toploader) drivetrain. The door tag reads as follows:

VIN: 6F09K161501

Body: 63B 2+2 Fastback, Pony Interior

Color: R Ivy Green Metallic

Trim: 66 Black Crinkle Vinyl, Pony Interior

Date: 15L November 15, 1965

DSO: 33 Detroit

Axle: E 3.50:1, Limited Slip

Trans.: 5 4-Speed Manual

The car was originally purchased by Harvey W. Dewey from Marine Motor Sales in Marine City, Michigan.

This car was loaded and has among other things:

8000 RPM rally pack

Deluxe seatbelts/seatbelt warning light

AM/8-track stereo

Console

Remote mirror

In addition, the car has 4 vintage Koni shocks. I had the fronts rebuilt by Koni North America to the tune of about $300. The rears were fine.

Paint

The car was repainted about year ago in its original color. It isn't 100% perfect, but it is darn good.

Body

This was originally a northern car. The floors and trunk have been replaced. They were done very well by a local shop and I have extensive pics of the work. The driver's door was replaced with a reproduction as was the driver's front fender. The door had been previously repaired with fiberglass and was not salvageable. In retrospect, I wish I had not done this and had sought an original door. The fender was replaced without my permission, oh well. Both the front and rear valences were replaced due to dents, etc. Otherwise it retains its original panels. The only collision evidence was in the passenger rear quarter. It had been previously repaired with bondo. The shop was able to pull out the dent and skim it. From within the trunk, there is now no evidence of a collison.

Engine

The car is an original 70,000 mile car. The engine was rebuilt at about the same time as the paint. Three of the pistons had skirt cracks so I replaced all of the pistons with new sealed power pistons. The originals come with the car. The cam was changed to one of Marv's along with new lifters. The original cam and lifters also come with the car. The block was honed, but not bored. It is stock bore. The radiator is new. The alternator is new. The fuel pump is a vintage CARbureTER Carter, but it is not a hipo. Everything else is original including the carb. I even have the carb tag and engine tag.

Interior

The interior is original except for the headliner and carpet. The driver's seat has a tear along the seam between the bottom pad the lower bolster. The upper bolster has a tear in the material like someone sat down with a screwdriver. The passenger seat and back seat are original and look great. The dash pad has a crack. I just haven't gotten around to getting these items fixed because I really don't want want to use repop parts. These are easy fixes, I just hate to mess with originality. I had always hoped to take the car to an uphostery shop to see if it could be repaired. Looks like I am out of time.

Wheels/Tires

The wheels are the original SS wheels of which I have five. The tires are brand new BFG T/As. In the trunk is the original spare on its original SS wheel.

Suspension

Original except for the aforementioned Konis and new rear springs. I supsect the car may have had the Shelby drop done to it. I suspect this for two reasons. One, in the papers I received with the car was a copy of the template. Secondly, the car has a rather raked look. If it has been dropped, the holes were plugged and cannot be seen.

Exhaust

New from Kar Mustang to original specs.

I know this car inside and out. It is well sorted mechanically and the body is great. The only area needing attention is the interior as previously mentioned. I have a lot of documentation including the original owners manual with the original owner's name, the High-Performance Equipment supplement and the manual for the Konis. I also have other documentation going back to the seventies. I have receipts for all of the work I have performed. I also have extensive pics of the restoration work including the body, the engine rebuild, etc. The car also comes with six trophies won in various Shelby and Mustang events in the early eighties in Texas and Louisiana.

Why am I selling? Family life has gotten too hectic. With a 5 year old, a 3 year old and a 1 year old, I can't give the car the time it deserves.

I am looking for offers in the mid-forties. Serious offers of course. I would be happy to answer any question you may have either here or by phone or email. I can also email pics to those interested. I don't have any good pics of the car as it sits now, but I will be taking those later in the week. The car is located in Braselton, GA. Inspections are welcomed.

John Ray

rayrealty@bellsouth.net

(404) 397-6289

Here is a link to a website I created awhile back documenting some of the restoration. I have tons more pics. Look in the photo albums section for the latest and greatest. Comments and questions are welcome.

http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-johnray

Edited by - Joe6pack on 03/03/2007 21:14:50

Edited by - Joe6pack on 03/03/2007 21:27:34

• So far, this car hasn't gotten much traction. I sent pics to about 10 folks and have been offered a K vert as a trade. No one has actually seen the car in person.

Even if you aren't interested how about taking a look at the car in the link above and give me your opinions. I am about at the point of just recovering the front seats and replacing the dash pad. At that point, the car will need nothing. I would also like your opinions on the pricing. I felt like $40k for a numbers matching K fastback GT with all of its hard to find parts (except the fuel pump) was pretty fair. Am I wrong?

• the price may be a little high. Without seeing the car it's hard to say. But this is for certain, auctions aside, volume of classic car sales doesn't pick up substantially (after the winter slump) until spring is pretty much over.

Z. Ray

'66 GT-350

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

So far, this car hasn't gotten much traction. I sent pics to about 10 folks and have been offered a K vert as a trade. No one has actually seen the car in person.

Even if you aren't interested how about taking a look at the car in the link above and give me your opinions. I am about at the point of just recovering the front seats and replacing the dash pad. At that point, the car will need nothing. I would also like your opinions on the pricing. I felt like $40k for a numbers matching K fastback GT with all of its hard to find parts (except the fuel pump) was pretty fair. Am I wrong?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

• The price is fine, assuming this car is as advertised. These K codes will continue to appreciate, especially the ones with original drive trains and pony interiors. Be patient...By the Summer it should go. If you must sell now it should go quick for 35 to 38K. Best of luck..Ed

• I agree

A True numbers matching car (Vin on block , tranny and tag on diff) should be worth 40K any day of the week. There are some less original cars out there at the moment commanding 45K and up , some with no VIN on the block or a heap of non original replacent parts

Go Figure

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The price is fine, assuming this car is as advertised. These K codes will continue to appreciate, especially the ones with original drive trains and pony interiors. Be patient...By the Summer it should go. If you must sell now it should go quick for 35 to 38K. Best of luck..Ed

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

• Hey Joe.

I would be staggered if you couldn't get 40K for this. Hell, if I had the spare money, I would jump at this without hesitation. This is one beautiful looking car and I love the colour combination. Hold firm on the price, if anything you should be able to get more. There are lots of K's that have had a higher asking price and I think yours looks heaps better than the one's I've come across. Original 70K motor, number on the block and trans, most of the hard to find bits. Anyone looking for a K would be mad to pass this one up.

Do you have the window sticker and original Bill of Sale with it?

Good luck Joe.

Regards,

René

• Watch the market guys...it is slipping and is stagnant at the moment. The seasons do not affect this...seasons do not affect the worldwide demand. That said, your K car is nice. I am in the market right now for a few cars. If you want it sold, call me.

Rob

608-588-4499

• Prices are really soft now. My friend just bought a matching #'s 66 GT. It was factory resale red and was in show condition for $38k.

The market may be soft throughout the rest of the year from what I hear.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Prices are really soft now. My friend just bought a matching #'s 66 GT. It was factory resale red and was in show condition for $38k.

The market may be soft throughout the rest of the year from what I hear.

Don't say that too loud. Someone starts a rumour and the next thing you know the market will take a plunge.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Don't say that too loud. Someone starts a rumour and the next thing you know the market will take a plunge.

Sounds good to me. I could drop insurance value and maybe buy another car.

Larry

Sounds good to me. I could drop insurance value and maybe buy another car.

Larry

Start looking for cars to buy. Prices have become soft lately. And the price of gas is not helping things out either. My brother bought a cherry all numbers matching GTK Fastback last week from a guy who wanted $45k last year, and he got it for $10k less. I think if people want top dollar, they are going to have to sit and hold for a while.

• Hi there

An above average 66GTK Fastback that was on Ebay a couple of months ago was just sold for 43K...

I had the car inspected and it did have some issues however it did have the VIN on the engine and gearbox.

Paint was a little over average and it had a lot of After market replacements in the engine bay (including wrong carb)

Market does not look that crook to me!!!

Tony

Sydney Australia

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!