Cam Shaft Specs

• Is any one aware of a Solid roller cam that mirrors the hipo specs? Is not, does any one have all the specs to I can have one custom ground?

What is the lobe center of the cam?

• Great idea,

For some reason Comp Cams, doesn't show many street grind mech rollers for the 289. However, if you go to their 351W pages you may get close. Just remember that the firing order may change. Comp Cams, Scheider and Crower can probably all make you one too.

Was thinking of the same idea to make my race HIPO streetable.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Great idea,

For some reason Comp Cams, doesn't show many street grind mech rollers for the 289. However, if you go to their 351W pages you may get close. Just remember that the firing order may change. Comp Cams, Scheider and Crower can probably all make you one too.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The Firing Order is different between the 289 and 351, but you can use the 351 Cam and only have to change the Firing Order.

• Marv, Don't you still have some Hipo cams?? and even some LeMans cams? I know the one I bought from you along with the lifters and timing set a few years ago all are doing supurbly in my engine!!

Quick question:What did Shelby use for a cam when they did the '65-'66 GT 350s along with their intake and Holley carb??

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Quick question:What did Shelby use for a cam when they did the '65-'66 GT 350s along with their intake and Holley carb??

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Stock Ford "K Code" solid lifter "C3OZ" camshaft...

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Stock Ford "K Code" solid lifter "C3OZ" camshaft...

Thanks!! So what was the LeMans cam used in?

Marv, Don't you still have some Hipo cams?? and even some LeMans cams? I know the one I bought from you along with the lifters and timing set a few years ago all are doing supurbly in my engine!!

Yes, I still sell the Cams and have a HiPo and LeMans on hand.

Great idea,

a solid roller cam is NOT going to be street-able. It's a race set-up only and, for a number of reasons, street use will beat the needle bearings to pieces. If you "think" you have to have a roller cam , then go with a hydraulic roller. They are routinely good for 6,500+ rpm.

Z.

a solid roller cam is NOT going to be street-able. It's a race set-up only and, for a number of reasons, street use will beat the needle bearings to pieces. If you "think" you have to have a roller cam , then go with a hydraulic roller. They are routinely good for 6,500+ rpm.

Z.

Agreed. I ran a solid roller for a while in my 66 and at ~2000 miles the needle bearings were beat to pieces and one lifter came apart. It was not a pleasant sound or experience. The motor was rebuilt with a solid flat tappet cam.

I'm sure there are people who successfully run a solid roller on the street but you better do your homework and find out how they do it, tighter than recommended lash settings may be one thing to consider.

Solid rollers work in race engines because they get better oiling due to the increased splash at race RPM's plus race engines are frequently torn down and the lifters replaced.

Just my experience, YMMV...

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>"........................... Agreed. I ran a solid roller for a while in my 66 and at ~2000 miles the needle bearings were beat to pieces and one lifter came apart. It was not a pleasant sound or experience. The motor was rebuilt with a solid flat tappet cam............" <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I think there has been a bit of "the sky is falling" hysteria about flat tappet cams failing due to the zinc levels issue. This has led to people going to roller cams, in some cases un-necessarily. With the proper lubrication a flat tappet cam will reliably last a long long time. And roller cams aren't any free lunch either. They routinely require very high spring pressures which brings a new set of headaches to the table.

Z.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!