Citing Registry statisics in for sale ads...

• I recently cited some registry statics in a for sale ad on a K code convertible "Only 31 such examples are accounted for today according to the HiPo Mustang Registry." to illustrate the relative rarity of the vehicle. I was told that it was misleading to make such statements, basically impuing the legitimacy of the registry as a repository of information on these cars. As members and contributors to the registry, what is your opinion on the use of registry data when promoting a given car for sale?

Kind Regards,

~Patrick

• Since the data is incomplete, we have to treat it as a random sampling. Saying there are "31 known" is fine, but just add that this is just a number in a registry and that the total number is not known since we do not have actual production figures from Ford Motor Company.

• There is insufficient information to cite fine-grained specifics. The registry is a voluntary database, so there are likely to be quite a few cars that are unaccounted for.

If you're going to quote production figures you might be best served keeping it to a higher level. The total 65-67 production and the number of HiPo cars in that production are reasonably known, and quite impressive numbers.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I would avoid using it at all to promote a car for sale. It's just too easy to misinterpret.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

this would be my suggestion as well.

Z. Ray

• I personally think that the registry is a valuable database that if maintained will serve the owners and future owners of our cars for many years to come and hence preserve the history of these great cars...to my way of thinking, the more value we place on the registry's data, the more likely the data integrity will be improved over time.

So, I do not see any problem with citing the stats in the database, but I do agree with a previous comment in this thread where, you can really only state "known examples" as we will never have a complete data set!

Speaking of the registry..Is it back up and running? I have been trying to get my car's details updated for over a year, and whilst I'm not complaining because the maintenance of the registry is supported by volunteers, based on my comments above, I for one would like to see the community of K code owners keep the data maintained.

Regards....Paul

• I agree with Paul. I have also attempted to update my car in the registry with no luck. I think that there is a statistically large enough sampling of the total K code run that one can draw some numerical conclusions as long as those numbers are stated as only estimates drawn from the registry sampling.

Wayne

• There is a difference in sampling "prevalance" from current registry data, and quoting actual things similar to what Marti does (he has ALL the data on '67 and up from Ford) such as 1 of 31, or all the 1 of 1 crap. Just because only one '67 K code with a bench seat may or may not be reported in this registry (that is really only known and available to internet savy people) doesn't mean it's a 1 of 1 production rarity. I think that is what the original post is hinting to in the query.

Many people who are familiar with Mustangs and even those more familiar with seeing Marti report type data DO NOT understand that the data does not exist for the earlier cars. I have even had arguments with so called "experts" on this topic who insist that Marti reports are available for ALL Mustangs. They are also probably going to assume that the statistics posted to sell a car are from a similar or identical source which must be reliable and comprehensive/conclusive. Anybody who actually knows what the "HiPo Registry" is, knows enough to understand that figures from it are only representative of a small volunteered sampling of cars. Anybody else who sees the reference from a car sales advertisement for the first time will likely be terribly misled, whether intentionally or not.

Edited by - 66gtk on 08/17/2010 13:27:11

• While we're on the registry topic it would be helpful to know where the site stand in terms of the techonology and administration - perhaps another separate post is in order.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!