C6ZF-C Hipo Carburetor Fake

• Here is a fake Hipo carburetor that sold on Ebay as an original:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/…AAQ:MOTORS:1123

It sold for $787.00 on 7-26-2010 and it was represented as an original HIPO carburetor. Although the stamped number indicates that this is a Hipo carburetor, the main body casting and choke shaft are not. The main body does not have the stop that is part of the casting on Hipo manual choke carburetors. It also has the vacuum hole for the automatic choke pulloff which should not be there. The choke shaft lever is for an automatic choke.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Check the seller's feedback. He's had one negative over the last year and the item was a 66 "HiPo" (same?) carb.

Dave
    6S1757

• I bought a HP distributor off e-bay several years back. It had a Ford p/n of C5OF-12127-E on its tag but was in fact a Motorcraft rebuild of a vacuum advance distributor. I don't remember the stamped number on the housing. It was a legitimate Ford rebuilt replacement but it was not a factory installed item. I sent it back. This carburetor shown on e-bay has a predominant Motorcraft box shown. I wonder if that is the same situation here, a non HP carburetor "remanufactured" for HP use?

Jim

• Official Post

James, The Motorcraft distributor that you are referring to was Fords last version of the Hipo distributor. Ford used the single point casting after they ran out of the dual point castings. Ford used a small plate to block off the vacuum advance hole and used a tin tag with the C5OF 12127 E number. The housing was a Motorcraft and was not stamped with any ID numbers. Ford uses authorized Ford remanufacturers for distributors and carburetors and they are not Motorcraft. The Motorcraft box really would not have had anything to do with this auction as the last time Ford offered a new C6ZF-C carburetor, it was in an Autolite box.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• The other thing I wondered about when viewing this carb was the presence of the anti-stall dashpot which would be found on a carb designed for an automatic transmission equipped car and not a 4spd. It could have been added I suppose.

Craig R.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!