valve adjustment on youtube

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>I've never seen anyone do this with solids:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

We used the clips and the valve covers with the holes in them for adjusting hydraulics if we were troubleshooting back in the '70's. I never knew anyone to do it with solids on a running engine; learn something new every day. Personally, I'll stick to doing it with the engine off:)

Edited by - round2K on 05/05/2009 10:24:12

• Official Post

Dave, as funny as it may appear that actually is an accepted way to adjust solid lifters. It can be very messy, and I wouldn't do it any more but back in the day when these Kars were new, that was one of the ways. Tool companies came up with clips that went over the rocker on the pushrod end for Chevys and Fords to keep the oil from squirting on the fender aprons and headers. Here is a link to the Jegs catalog for these clips.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Mr.+Gasket/720/1015/10002/-1

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Been adjusting solids for nearly 40 years now. That's how I used to do mine in the old days. Worked fairly easily with a 289 HiPo, but it WAS fairly messy. First time I adjusted them on my BOSS 351, the oil shot out at EYE level! THAT was a pretty sobering experience (and right after that is when I ordered the clips for the rockers).

Jeff

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Some would even take an old valve cover and cut the center out to adjust.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I used to use that method, it would help contain oil splash a little, still messy. Having some oil hit the headers and start a small fire convinced me to stick with the engine off method.

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!