Spark Plug removal

• I recently removed my plugs before a valve adjustment, but could not remove the plug from cylinder #3 because there was not enough clearance between the exhaust manifold and plug. I'm not sure even the thinnest wall plug wrench would fit. I'm thinking about loosening all of the exhaust mainifold bolts and hoping I could slide it rearward about 1/16" to clear the opening, but don't want to go through that if there is an easier way. Anyone else ever expereince this?

Walter

• I have run into this problem before myself. I have found that loosening the manifold and lifting it up and then retightening it works the best. The problem begins when somebody puts the manifolds on and just lets them hang from the bolts when they tighten them. I let them hang all of the time on other engines and the Hipos are the only ones that I have experienced this problem with.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Try getting a couple extra plug sockets - loose up the manifold bolts and put a socket on each plug - one at each end works or use three (one in the middle) - then snug up the manifold before removing the sockets.

Been using this trick for years on my cars whenever I have the manifolds or headers loose. Does the trick.

• I had this same problem a couple of weeks back, the spark plug socket would not fit on the spark plugs in no. 3 and 4 cylinders because the exhaust manifold was too far forward. I loosened the manifold and "persuaded" it to move to the rear using two sockets on the plugs as a gauge. It's reasuring to find that this is not an uncommon problem and my solution was correct.

Jim

• I, too have had this problem on my #4 cylinder getting the plug out.

I was advised to buy a cheap, thin 13/16" socket used for lawn mower engines commonly available at most parts stores, walmart, ect, I got 1 and it worked perfectly-the #4 cylinder plug on mine was the only 1 that I had any trouble with.

I was also told that IF I had reproduction Hipo monifolds that they could be troublesome in allowing enough clearance to get to all the plugs-Mine are THE originals.....

• I, just yesterday, encountered this plug socket interference with a reproduction left side Hipo manifold made by CAS that I am installing at the cutomers request on his K fastback that I am restoring for him. He had already bought them prior to my taking on his project or I would have sold him originals. The right side worked but the left side took a fair amount of grinding on my part to make clearance for the plug socket. My usual loosening of the bolts and moving the manifold around was not near enough to make this one work. The casting is much thicker around the exhaust port and requires a lot of work to make it useable. The grinding that I did was not that visible once installed as the spark plug and wire sort of cover the area. The manifolds actually look pretty good and are stronger than originals based on the extra material used, however the extra material is the problem in making them useable. It is easy to see the problem when you compare them to an original set. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!