Repop Vibe Dampner

• <font face='Comic Sans MS'>Has anyone out there in Hipo land seen or bought the CJ Pony repop item they offer for near 300 bucks? They claim it took 2 yrs to get it right. Never having seen the genuine article myself (I've a C8xxx service item on my engine), I can't tell if their offering is truly accurate in texture, marking, and appearance to the geenie item. I do notice the rear edge is chamfered however.

</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://s4.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

• I don't know about the one that CJ is selling, but I do know that the Damper Doctor where I sent my original for a rebuild was in the process of making a correct repro, might want to check with them....

• A friend of mine supplied the original balancer off of his Hertz Shelby for the manufacturer to repro these. I have one in my hands now and I compared it to an original C5OE. Except for not have the C5OE number stamped on the center hub and a date code next to the timing marks, it is really correct. He is willing to let me sell them to the people on this forum for $250.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Jim Cowles said these dampers are balanced to 28 oz.in. which incorrect for the 289 Hipo. If you plan on using one of these dampers I highly recommend that you check the balance of your engines rotating assembly.

• What is the problem with a 28 oz. offset on the balancer? To my knowledge, that is correct for a Hipo 289. I just rechecked that specification with Valley Head Service who did most of the hot rod head work for Shelby back in the day.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

What is the problem with a 28 oz. offset on the balancer? To my knowledge, that is correct for a Hipo 289. I just rechecked that specification with Valley Head Service who did most of the hot rod head work for Shelby back in the day.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The balance spec for the 289 hipo only damper is 24.5 oz.in.

C3OE-6A360-B counterweight is 5.9 oz.in.

289 hipo only flywheel/flex plate is 30.4 oz.in.

All non hipo 289 dampers, flywheels, & flex plates 28.2 oz.in.

All spec's are from Ford engineering drawings.

• Sorry for bringing up this old post again, but what is the balance of the replacement dampers? 28 oz, or the Hipo specific 24.5 oz?

I'm using a replacement on my non-Hipo 289 without the extra counterweight. The whole assembly is balanced, so I'm not really worried about unbalance, but just curious. I do recall that the balancing shop mentioned that they had to make a lot of corrections.

• When I lived in Sweden and hadn't found a HiPo 289 for my 67

Shelby yet, I used a standard 289 engine and put a HiPo damper

and the counter weight on it and didn't re-balance it.

Never had any problems. Then in 1981 I found two genuine HiPo's

a 65 (August 64 assembly date) and a 67 with HEH-BX transmission

and clutch equilizer bar etc. Use the 65 engine and 67 trans, clutch

etc. in my car.Sold the 67 engine and it's in a 66 HiPo Mustang now.

/Bo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!