market price for a nice unrestored 6R08K

• I'm trying to determine market value for a '66 GT hi-po and hope a few of you can venture a price tag. The car is unrestored, but has been re-painted once. Overall an 8 out of 10. The car is a low mileage, 76B, red/red. All virgin sheet metal, original facotry GT, origial door tag. I'm perhaps attempting to acquire this car and want to know how deep my pockets need to be. Thanks for your comments in advance.

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 10/17/2008 14:40:57

• The 76B body style makes it a luxury interior convertible. Back when they were new a convertible was not the hot tip for racing being as they were heavier. If you were a hot rodder back then you would buy the cheapest coupe for a Hipo drivetrain. A luxury interior convertible was way down the list for a hot rodder wanting a Hipo drivetrain so few were built. 40 years later they have become highly desireable due to their rarity. The big three on these are Hipo, GT and luxury (pony) interior. I have had 3 of that configuration myself. Rarity and desireabilty tend to drive the prices up. If it is unrestored, in good condition and with low mileage, this can be a gem in the rough. You need to be prepared to spend more than you might think for the purchase and a whole lot more to restore it.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• The car is a convertible. I've attempted to watch a few K convertibles sell on E-Bay, Hemmings, Mustang trader, and the .com recources to establish value trends. As Fred mentions, the hi-po, GT conv, with delux int is rare which I expect to pay more for a car with all the goodies. I would also suspect that a red car would create a bit more interest to buyers than most other colors would. I've seen a few restored K convertibles sell recently for $52-$65K, but I'm not confident a loaded red car like this could be purchased in that range.

I'm trying to determine market value for a '66 GT hi-po and hope a few of you can venture a price tag. The car is unrestored, but has been re-painted once. Overall an 8 out of 10. The car is a low mileage, 76B, red/red. All virgin sheet metal, original facotry GT, origial door tag. I'm perhaps attempting to acquire this car and want to know how deep my pockets need to be. Thanks for your comments in advance.

[/quote]

• You think the car would fetch more than the 52-65K Not a chance in this market. The market is not tending upwards.

Unrestored means little unless it is COMPLETLY untouched with original paint.

The market is very specific and any claims are closely scrutinized and easily uncovered. Stories about low mileage and old lady owners hold no water unless backed by a bucketful of legitimate paperwork. Previous owner statements again do not matter. The people writing checks right now, now how to spot a fake 65-66 door tag, they know the spot welds on a mustang etc.

I think a car like you are talking about is $45-55K tops

• Thanks Boss1. To give you an idea of how low mileage and original the car is, it still has the crayon marks on the frame from assembly.

• Original markings help, but you would be surprised at how long those last. I routinely get cars in that have the markings in place. Sometimes they are covered in light dirt others, there plain as day...like the 69 Shelby GT350 I just sold...original markings, chalk etc. and 72,000 original, DOCUMENTED miles. Documentation including all service and title reccords from day 1. If you want to overpay for a car, feel free, but the market for that car is not north of $50K

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Original markings help, but you would be surprised at how long those last. I routinely get cars in that have the markings in place. Sometimes they are covered in light dirt others, there plain as day...like the 69 Shelby GT350 I just sold...original markings, chalk etc. and 72,000 original, DOCUMENTED miles. Documentation including all service and title reccords from day 1. If you want to overpay for a car, feel free, but the market for that car is not north of $50K

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote> Rob do you have any new cars in other than the 66 fastback and tiger you have listed.

• I also have a '66 factory GT, Pony Interior K code 'vert. Mine also has original sheet metal, and 1 re-paint. Multiple 1st place show winner this last year, and drives like new. It's a driver, with typical front valence paint chips, and light pitting and such in various interior places. Most people at shows don't have a clue what it is, and those that do can't stop drooling over it. I don't plan on selling it ever, but the thought of having to replace it someday in case of loss scares the hell out of me. I don't think I could find another. It seems the available cars are usually projects, incorrect examples, or over-restored.

I figure it's worth about 40-50K, and mine is already done (good enough for me, since I actually like to drive it). Rob, am I close to the correct retail value on this? I'd post more pics, but I think you have all seen my car before, and you will soon get a chance to see it in print in your mailboxes (can't reveal any more secrets here...)

Edited by - 66gtk on 10/22/2008 08:56:32

• Gents, you are a great crowd to mingle with and appreciate your input. The consensus seems to give market $40-$50K on a car like this, and with your knowledgeable collaberation I'll take this at better than par with me to the negotiating table. What color is your car 66gtk?

• 66GTK's Kar is the one in the picture with his post.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Gents, you are a great crowd to mingle with and appreciate your input. The consensus seems to give market $40-$50K on a car like this, and with your knowledgeable collaberation I'll take this at better than par with me to the negotiating table. What color is your car 66gtk?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I don't think you can call this a "consensus", since we still no very little about the car in question. Missing parts can cost thousands....My car is Ivy Green Metallic.

• Your Ivy Green GT K is in that range. The market changes up and down monthly it seems. So any valuation or range I give, is for the time period in which the statement is made. Right now sellers typically have a higher value in mind than the actual value. NADA guides and such are absolutely worthless IMO. Anyone who quotes a "Certified" appraisal, or Book value...etc...is living in lala land.

• I'd like to establish an accurate value out of the discussion, so lets keep it open as 66gtk points out there is not enough info on the car to assess a market value just yet. I wish we could all stand around the car for 5 minutes...that would close this, but unfortunately won't happen. The car has it's original VIN stamped motor, trans, and diff. Original data plate. The car has repro Cobra valve covers, a repro fan blade, and an original Shelby oil pan that have all been put on at some point down the line. All chrome is original and shows some very very minor pitting. No dents, no bondo, and all spots welds are still around every seem I've inspected. 67 styles wheels, red carpet has been placed in the trunk. No chips in paint, no wear in the apolstry. I believe the interior has been reappolstered and a new white top put on the car. Car has a/c, and console which will need to come out. The car has 38K original miles. The engine comp has also been repainted along with the block. Nice, but would need to be cleaned up as the car is occasionally driven(tag is missing on block). Wrong Carb, original correct distributor. I'm sure I've left a few things out but hopefully the additonal info here will move us closer to a conclusion. Does the color scheme of a car have any affect on value?

• Yes, color has an affect. Original Red, and Black cars fetch the most. Freshly painted Ivy green does OK...but not as good as red.

I would have a very hard time offering more than $50,000 for the car.

• Although the drivetrain is original (+), the car you are describing should not be represented as "unrestored", by any means. It has had much replaced and apparently lost along the way. A correct "fan" will run you about $1000, and a correct "carb" would be even more. I would also want documented PROOF of original mileage and history of ownership.

Sounds like a great car, and an awesome one to pursue. It sounds a lot like my car as far as value. Red helps a little, but not as much as you may think. Not everybody wants a red car, especially with a red interior.

• Yes, it seems always the case the term "original" and un-restored gets tossed around a lot. And when the details come out...it is obvious that those terms do not describe 99% of the cars.

Mileage...unless you have substantial proof, meaning documents such as original service records...I would not fall for it. It is actually one of my pet peeves in this hobby.

If it were me, shelling out dough...$42,000

• Yes, we may be describing this car in different terms which could scew our results. I may also be one of your culprits using "unrestored" more casually than should be. So, please straighten me out here: When using "unrestored" correctly are we talking about the car's class...a t-bred? I've often used "unrestored" to describe a car that lacks something significant or needs attention and that has not undergone all necessary repairs (small or large)that are needed for my intended use or class. This often requires some form of improving a car from the wear and tear it now shows that could involve re-paint, appolstry, mecahincal, changing parts, and the detailing.

Back to the car...It is a very nice piece and frankly would have ordered this exact car if I went back to 1966 and filled out a special order. Not sure what records are avaialble to document the mileage. The owner has talked with the original owner recently and believes he has the bill of sale and window sticker. There again, it's not in hand but would make my day. If the owner did have documentation on mileage and/or a window sticker woudl that enhance value much here? I'm seeing discussion that we are narrowing the market value between $40K-$50, but not much past here.

• Take lots of pics, including undercarriage, and detailed engine bay and we can get a better handle on what you are looking at. What's the asking price?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!