• There is some misinformation that Metuchen did not vin stamp HiPo motors. Looking at my database there are few examples compared to Dearborn and San Jose but I wanted to share a recent 6T08K found in the woods of Pennsylvania. The story was the original owner parked it after putting just 10,000 miles on it and there it stayed until recently. Here are a couple photos.

• Great information, Evan. At one time I was under the impression that Metucheon did not VIN stamp Hipo blocks as I both owned and observered examples of this. I bought a VIN stamped Metucheon Hipo block a couple of years ago from a convertible which made me believe that Metucheon did VIN stamp the Hipo blocks, but possibly sporadically.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I believe from the discussion on the old forum was that some Metuchen hipo blocks were VIN stamped and some were not-I don't recall if anyone came up with a reason or trend. The other thing is that no K code C4 trans were VIN stamped.

• I don't recall anyone ever saying no Metuchen blocks were VIN stamped. The discussion has always been that not all were VIN stamped. I happen to have one that isn't stamped and have all records back to day one. I have also seen one on a car built within days that does have a VIN stamp so there is no rhyme or reason other than a human not doing it, like forgetting your fries at a drive thru.

Tony Gregory states in his book "Many, but not all, of the HiPo blocks had the cars VIN stamped into it."

Adding to that, here is a VMF post from 2003 referring to this topic and a quote on the old HiPo Mustang site from Tony before it crashed.

"OK, here I am. Sorry guys, I don't mean to be elusive... I honestly just never have time for squat anymore. It's taking me three years to complete the convertible I am presently working on. 7 years ago it would have taken me a year to do it. Anyway, I'll always help when I can, I just hardly get time to check message boards. I saw the comment from the fella who said he tried to PM me on the other Mustang site. Sorry, I haven't even been to that site in 3 months! Not even to look around. Anyway, we looked at dozens and dozens of cars when we researched the book. We spoke to a dozen different "experts" too. In the end it boiled down to this... I believe that "Many", possibly even "Most" HiPo's came with a VIN stamped on the block, but not "All." Now, I will explain myself a little. I looked at quite a few original motors that were "unopened/unmolested" and probably 6 or 7 out of 10 had VINS on them, but not all. I guess you had to be there to see these motors, but I was no doubt convinced they were "unopened/unmolested." Also, I have owned more than several of said motors and most of them I rebuilt at one time or another. Some of those "non-vin" motors had the orange daubs, even still on the inside! One car in particular I remember was a 66 fastback that my father bought new in 66. My father was the ONLY OWNER of that car. It DID NOT have a vin stamped on the block. I know, because, I tore the motor apart to take some pictures when I was writing the book! Since I knew personally, without doubt, that that block had NEVER been replaced, I knew it could not be an "ALL" or nothing type answer to this question. HOWEVER, I believe many/most should have it. I DO NOT believe a car is wrong if it does not. However, the block should at least have the correct casting codes as pointed out in the book.
    I hope this helps some.
    Best to ya'll! Tony "

Of K-codes and stamped VIN#'s
    www.vintage-mustang.com

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!