New member from Australia

• Hi to all,

Just stumbled onto this site and I am amazed by the wealth of information and knowledge that experienced people and willing to share with new k-code owners.

I have literally spent hours just reading interesting threads, and even I now feel as though I could talk all day about k-codes with some modicum of knowledge (but lets be real I've only scratched the surface). :cry:

Anyway, I bought my first Mustang a few weeks ago and I hope I am now the proud owner of a 1966 Candy Apple Red GT K-Code coupe. I said 'hope' because these cars seem to come in for their fair share of cloning, copying, faking etc.

But let me say I am very happy with the car as a weekly driver and it's a dream come true whatever disappointments might/might not be instore.

I'll probably be asking a few 'originality' type questions to get the ball rolling, but as I said, don't be afraid to give me any bad news, the car is fantastic to me and that's all that matters. :shy:

Thanks for the accept in the group, and looking forward to learning heaps.

hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/763/hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/764/

Edited 2 times, last by hippo (November 28, 2021 at 12:16 AM).

• Welcome aboard the site. As you have seen so far, there are many others here who share your interest in these Kars. Yours looks like a really nice Kar.

In regards to your question on main caps and rods, the main caps are of the Mexican variety. They are similar to Hipo caps but are not quite the same with their casting codes. The rods appear to be Hipo but could be Boss 302. A quick check with a 9/16" socket will let you know if they are proper.

Is your block VIN stamped? What are the block casting numbers? Where was the Kar built?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks for that Fred.

The casting date is C5AE-6015E date code 6A3 (but I know that is not conclusive of anything). The best I can make out for the block assembly date is 6A?

The car's VIN 6RO7K which matches the exposed and a hidden VIN.

Anyway, I am documenting as many casting marks, date stamps etc to see what exactly I have. An enjoyable process in any event.

Thanks for your assistance Fred,

hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/767/hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/768/

Edited 4 times, last by hippo (November 11, 2021 at 4:39 PM).

• Great looking Kar, you’ve definitely

found the right forum for all things

K-Code, I would check on high dollar

items like carburetor an fuel pump.

I’m an owner with a little experience

but Fred an a few others have vast

Knowledge on these Kars.

Relicdog

Edited once, last by relicdog (September 26, 2021 at 2:20 PM).

• I am not trying to find any faults here. I am just trying to help you and others understand some basics. From what you are showing, the body is obviously proper for a Hipo and has the correct rear axle housing. Keep in mind that the steering box, dual exhaust system, frame reinforcements for exhaust hangers, under seat reinforcements for those exhaust hangers, special rear end snubber plate on the body, heavy duty springs and the 13/16" sway bar are standard equipment on all Hipo 289 1965 and 1966 Mustangs that were built after the GT introduction. Most of this was also, in slightly different form on some of the pieces, on the transverse dual exhaust and Arvinode earlier Kars. To make it more simple, a GT Mustang in 1965 and 1966 is basically a Hipo 289 body without the K VIN and K drive train. The only difference in the exhaust system between a Hipo and a GT at the rear is the exhaust tips. Your Kar is probably a GT by the other items that you checked and your one GT check box on a coupe is to see if there are any residual holes in the 1/4's for cove ornamentation as a GT would never have the holes. The only coupes that would NOT have those holes would have been ones with the accent group, a rare factory option where the ornamentation was replaced with striping, or where new 1/4 panels were installed.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Welcome from a fellow Australia K owner.

Our GT k code coupes rolled out of the SJ factory about a month apart.

Cheers

Ben

66 GT Koupe, May San Jose build.

• Thanks relicdog and 6R07K for the contact, much appreciated.

Fred, thanks so much for your time and the expertise you have imparted to me. It is truly astounding the knowledge you possess about these wonderful kars. They are very easy to become passionate about. As I said in my first post, I am happy to receive any information regarding my kar ‘warts and all’. I am just content with what it is at end of the day.

I am happy that the body seems to have many of the k-code and GT indicators, and thanks for your point about checking for residual quarter panel holes for any cove ornamentation. I will inspect that area in due course.

Thanks an cheers for now,

Anthony

hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/769/hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/770/hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/771/hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/772/hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/773/

Edited 3 times, last by hippo (November 11, 2021 at 4:40 PM).

• Your extremely rare C6ZF-F carburetor does appear to be a correct Hipo carburetor. I am late here right now and I need to get going very early in the morning (2:30 AM) so I will follow up on other items later tomorrow.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• You are correct that the heads are too early for this Kar, but they are at least Hipo heads. The spacer under the carburetor has an odd look to it as far as color and appears thinner than it should be. A picture of your fan would be helpful. There are several internal changes in the Hipo C4 for which you would only be able to see with the pan and tail housing removed.

Jason (MORSEL) has supplied a picture of an original C servo cover in this thread. Compare it to yours as the repro is slightly different.

Wanted - C-Servo Cover for HiPo C4 Transmission - K SpecifiK Parts - The HiPo Mustang eKschange (hipo-mustang.com)

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Thanks again Fred.

The fan shroud does not have the rubber insulator near the battery tray, but I can feel indentations there. If the rubber and staples were there at some point, maybe I am feeling where that was.

Water pump, I have no idea. It has no casting numbers that I can see resembling Ford, but has 8877A-1 on it, which seems similar to some Edelbrock numbers.

Anyway...it's all about the numbers I suppose with these cars.

thanks and regards

Anthonyhipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/778/

hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/779/hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/780/hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/781/hipo-mustang.com/core/attachment/782/

Edited 2 times, last by hippo (November 11, 2021 at 4:41 PM).

• The only coupes that would NOT have those holes would have been ones with the accent group, a rare factory option where the ornamentation was replaced with striping, or where new 1/4 panels were installed.

Question about the 1/4 holes.

My convertible does not have them and I don't think it had any optional quarter striping. Was there a side trim delete option for convertibles?

(San Jose Sept '64 build date)

• The only coupes that would NOT have those holes would have been ones with the accent group, a rare factory option where the ornamentation was replaced with striping, or where new 1/4 panels were installed.

Question about the 1/4 holes.

My convertible does not have them and I don't think it had any optional quarter striping. Was there a side trim delete option for convertibles?

(San Jose Sept '64 build date)

I only specified the coupe in my post so as not to confuse the OP on my post. The convertible had the same available accent group as the coupes. The only 65/66 Mustang non GT model that never received any 1/4 ornamentation is the fastback.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• You are correct about the fuel pump and water pump being replacements. Your water pump appears to be aluminum and unless is is the cast iron style replacement, the timing cover will be incorrect. Check out your timing cover below your water pump for casting numbers like C5OE or C4OE. The fan shroud will actually have holes in it where the staples were to retain the rubber piece. Your fan appears to be a later repro piece. The original Hipo balancer will have a date code stamped near the timing marks.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Hey Fred,

I noticed on that Carb that it doesn't have a dash pot, is that something that happened on later C6ZF-F. And yes, there are several internal difference on a HiPo C4, but as mentioned the C Servo cover is quick check, although they can be added and Trans can still be standard. Here's a shot of a real C Servo cover, notice the FORD logo and little marking below it, the Repro's don't have those.

Jason

• Hey Fred,

I noticed on that Carb that it doesn't have a dash pot, is that something that happened on later C6ZF-F. And yes, there are several internal difference on a HiPo C4, but as mentioned the C Servo cover is quick check, although they can be added and Trans can still be standard. Here's a shot of a real C Servo cover, notice the FORD logo and little marking below it, the Repro's don't have those.

Jason

Jason, I added a link where you showed a picture of the cover you were seeking in the OP posts where you were seeking a proper cover and credited it to you.

Yes, this carburetor is supposed to have the dashpot but I did not add that to his growing list as it was small compared to other things. Good eye, Jason!!

I also mentioned that it would be necessary to remove the pan and tail housing to check for the other Hipo C4 components.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Thanks Fred and Jason,

Although I drive the car sedately, sounds as though I should install a dash pot for safety sake. An unexpected stall would not be welcome.

As you say Fred the list is a bit of a long one!, but that's OK as I said from the start...

Thanks and regards

• Yes, and actually the one from my previous post is correct for 66, the one above in my post is actually a 65, notice the thicker "C" on the 65 version verses the thinner "C" on the 66 version. I believe from the Concours and SAAC site that the thin C version started coming into play around late October 65...

And also, yes, that list, I remember the huge list I had to fix :)

Thanks,

Jason

February 10th 1966 - San Jose - Factory GT K-Code Automatic, Candy Apple Red Fastback, Black Standard Interior

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!