Correct HIPO fuel pump for early 66 built K

• So I just purchased a 66 K convertible that had it engine built in Sept. of 1965. The car was scheduled to be built Sept 9th but was actually built Oct. 8th, 1965. The car has 65 motor mounts. My question is do you think it should have a 65 HIPO fuel pump or a 66 HIPO fuel pump?

Thanks for your help!

Chad

• If it has the original carb on it and the fuel filter screws in to the carb then I would say it would have had a 4201 pump vs the 3939s pump witch had the filter on the pump, but to be sure I would see what Fred has to say about it as he rebuilds them and has far more knowledge in that area than most.

• Hey Chuck, That is a very good point. One I was thinking about. The carb is original and does not have the screw in filter at the carb. It has a 3939s style pump. The car has been restored so not sure what is correct.

• So I just purchased a 66 K convertible that had it engine built in Sept. of 1965. The car was scheduled to be built Sept 9th but was actually built Oct. 8th, 1965. The car has 65 motor mounts. My question is do you think it should have a 65 HIPO fuel pump or a 66 HIPO fuel pump?

Thanks for your help!

Chad

4201-S fuel pumps were built as early as July 26, 1965 so, yes, your September 9, 1965 Kar should have one. My Metucheon built September 3, 1965 GT Konvertible had the 4201-S pump. Keep in mind that the carburetors can be used with a steel fuel line as in 1965 and prior or the screw in fuel filter which began in 1966 as the female side on the carburetor is the same. The correct carburetor is a C6ZF-C with a 6ZC stamping on the left side of the left front toe. The 1965 style Hipo motor mounts were still in use until at least November 1, 1965. Make sure that you have the correct carburetor just for your own peace of mind.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Hey Fred,

It does have the correct Carb! And it does have 65 Motor mounts. The fuel line does thread straight into the carb, no filter at carb. So I will take your advice and go with the 4201-S

Thanks Fred!

Chad

• Hey Fred,

Sorry I am confusing myself. You are saying to use the 66 style which is part number 4201-S correct?

Thanks

Chad

• Hey Fred,

Sorry I am confusing myself. You are saying to use the 66 style which is part number 4201-S correct?

Thanks

Chad

That is correct.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Thanks for your help!

Chad

4201-S fuel pumps were built as early as July 26, 1965 so, yes, your September 9, 1965 Kar should have one. My Metucheon built September 3, 1965 GT Konvertible had the 4201-S pump. Keep in mind that the carburetors can be used with a steel fuel line as in 1965 and prior or the screw in fuel filter which began in 1966 as the female side on the carburetor is the same. The correct carburetor is a C6ZF-C with a 6ZC stamping on the left side of the left front toe. The 1965 style Hipo motor mounts were still in use until at least November 1, 1965. Make sure that you have the correct carburetor just for your own peace of mind.

-Fred-

If 26 July 1965 is the earliest date you've seen, that means I have one of the earliest ones.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!