5T09K193998

• This appears to be a fairly good looking Kar. However, for the amount of money asked for this Kar, I would expect a little more than I see. At the minimum the idler arm and tie rod ends are aftermarket pieces. The rear end housing appears to be a clone. The harmonic balancer is painted blue. I thought that they were supposed to be black. The scheduled build date for the Kar was January 20, 1966 however the engine date code is April 14, 1966. It supposedly has the proper VIN stamp on the engine. Is this one of the Hipo cars that were built and sat waiting for an engine due to engine shortages? Over 3 months of waiting does not seem to make sense. It is confusing that the ad mentions that it has the original 4100 carb, which it does, and then further down it says that has Holley 780 which it does not. It has a replacement fuel pump. The undercarriage appears to be mostly body color but I suppose that it could be just the camera angles and lighting. It does not have a matching spare tire and wheel. The shocks are white rather than black. It has an aftermarket clutch equalizer bar. I mention all of this because they say that this is an MCA quality trailered show car. I am sure that Charles would see far more than I have.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I have had a bad experience with this guy - related to a previous HiPo posting of a potential re-body K code.

He was down right NASTY to me when I offered to help him identify if the car was in fact a re-body. Because of his approach to that situation I wouldn't recommend dealing with him, but I could be wrong.

I have also heard via a buddy in my Mustang Club that he has gotten in trouble for selling a re-body BOSS302.

From what I can tell he is a GM guys and only dabbles in FoMoCo - his cars are "not" as good as advertized from what I have seen.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have had a bad experience with this guy - related to a previous HiPo posting of a potential re-body K code.

He was down right NASTY to me when I offered to help him identify if the car was in fact a re-body. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I sort of remember a controversial kar from Dante Frazier, but haven't been able to dig up the details concerning it yet...

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I seem to remember that at one time he was big into 55-57 Birds at least back in the 80's.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I think you're right about that, Fred. Of course, when it comes to the early T-Birds, Amos Minter has probably earned the highest credentials in today's market.

• There is a pending sale at $65,000 on this Kar.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Yep, this is my old car. I originally purchased it out of the mountains of NC and had it stripped to nothing and painted. Never could find the time to put it back together so I sold the car. It has gone through another set of hands or two since then but I am sure that is my car. I don't know anything about the seller but if anyone on this site bought the car, let me know and I will forward you all of the pictures that I had of the car during its time with me.

Oh yeah, the car has the correct red oxide on the underside (at least when I had the car) but the camera flash and lighting is not allowing for the true color to show up.

Edited by - davmcn on 04/14/2008 15:53:05

• The pinion snubber braket is definitely missing from the rear axle, but at least this one has the correct HiPo floor pan plate.

This seller has had other "HiPo" cars that didn't.

Funny how the seller threatened me with LEGAL action when I pointed this out to him on a previous car (it had to be a rebody, major floor repair, or a re-stamped VIN). NOW every one of his HiPo auctions includes a CLOSE UP photo of this! Guess he has learned there is a difference!

My April '65 HiPo has the snubber bracket and the same rubber bushing on the floor pan as this car - instead of the smaller one on top of the snubber.

Mine had to be that way from the factory because when I removed the bushing during resto teardown it was like brand new underneath - both the floor pan and the bushing.

FYI - the bushing doesn't do much good without the snubber - and snubber brackets are getting expensive and harder to find.

Two other things I noticed:

1 - Car build date is 20A - engine casting is 6D14 - correct me if I'm wrong but his claim of "Numbers Matching" isn't accurate with the engine cast 4 months after the scheduled build date. I'd check out all the parts closely.

2 - Yes - check the VIN - it should start with a "6". This could just be a typo or misread on their part.

It does look like a good starting point "car", but it will need some work and $65,000 is high for a the car has some "potential" issues like the block and snubber.

Edited by - RalphJr on 04/15/2008 08:26:47

• This car had seen some miles when I bought it (many of which were on a dragstrip in SC) but I can attest to the VIN being on the block when I purchased the car. However, I cannot explain the difference between the build date of the car and the block. I guess these types of things will always be discussed and debated. I can say it has all of it's original body panels except for a lower quarter patch on one side but I think that is pretty much it. I sold the car to another fellow in NC and he in turn sold it to a guy in VA who I am guessing then sold the car to Fraser-Dante. I tried to buy the car back but at the time the seller in VA was not interested in selling. Next time I heard about the car, I find out that it has been sold to Fraser-Dante.

I cannot speak for the price but the car is solid and has a good look to it. Good luck to the new owner!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!