65 Hipo Carb???

• Official Post

This carb is listed on Ebay as a 65 Hipo carb.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/65-…sspagenameZWDVW

I questioned the seller about it as quoted below.

Hi,

Just trying to help you out here. This carb was originally for a 63 full size Ford with a 390 and Cruiseomatic transmission. A 65 Mustang Hipo, although with the same 1.12 venturi size, was a manual and not an automatic choke. The body of the carburetor for a manual choke is different than an automatic choke carb and only the 65-67 Hipo 289 engines had manual choke 4V carbs. If you need more help please feel free to contact me. I can email you a picture of the proper carb if that would help.

Good luck,

Here is the sellers response to me.

Well thanks Fred but here's an anomoly, This car is in house untouched, one owner. Bought in Maryland, Dec 14th 1965, We have build sheet, Window sticker. and bill of sale. Ford tech sheet also. Guess what this car is Virgin and had this carb. Only at Ford

Does this explanation work for anyone else on this forum? If this Kar is so virgin, why would you sell the original carburetor? This sure does not work for me.

-Fred-

Edited by - c6zzkgt on 05/01/2008 09:53:45

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred,

This listing is an indication of misuse of the English language. Madison Avenue ad executives would be proud, as would P. T. Barnum. Note some critical omitted words as part of their sale pitch. It's also full of a lot of implications as to the car, and nowhere in the details is the key wording that the carb is the correct one, just that it was on the car. The most outstanding key word is "Clean". Now where did we hear "Clean" used as a testomonial.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Does this explanation work for anyone else on this forum?

-Fred-<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Fred,

In one word....... NO!

IMHO, the seller is clearly delusional!

Tom

• Official Post

Here is the sellers latest additional comment on this auction:

<hr class="bbcode_rule" />
    On May-01-08 at 16:24:43 PDT, seller added the following information:

Note: For the purist, we can't account for what the Factory did when producing cars, but the numbers on the carb designate a 1963 Fairlane 390 V8 car carb. I can tell you for sure it came off a untouched 65 Mustang HiPo 289. Tacking ventury and meter measurements I figure this carb to be approximitely 500CFM. Ford did several things during production and actually different plants did builds on the same model differently. Hope this helps with any questions. We thank you for the interest and want you to be totally satisfied

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Here is the e-bay reply I got: (Note: I said 'shame' on the seller)

"Your shame is on Ford. I've been doing this over twenty years and can tell you several things I've seen done on Fords from the factory. You best learn how Ford does things. I am also a MCA judge have spent several hours in Dearborn and with Mike Pierson the President of MCA. No shame here we stand by what we sell."

Comments Charles?

Jim

• This is a 1963 Galaxie 390 with Cruiseomatic 4V carburetor. If there was a tag (missing), it would clearly have shown a 1963 date code. Idle needle valves are not consistent with 1963, but are like ones I have seen on either 1966-67 time frame. Everything else looks 1963, from what I can see.

• I have met Vince Harwood a couple of years ago when I was looking for a good restoration shop in my area, and though he knows more about Cougars than I do he is by far no Mustang expert!

He is more of a shirt and tie businessman that he explained to me that he had an opportunity to buy 6 large utility trailers full of Mustang parts and so he did and went into the Mustang business with very very little knoledge.

I wouldn't trust him or his staff to restore a 6 cylinder Mustang!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!