• My fuel pump is not a button top but it looks very similar and does have the gold color filter cup. It does not have any numbers in the casting and it has "MADE IN USA" in the bottom cast piece and it has a small tag that has an "E" inside of a circle and below that is "6838 22OH". Is this a service replacement pump? My car is a January 1965, Dearborn.

Also, should the dipstick tube and the dipstick handle be painted black?

Jack

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 11/20/2010 21:21:58

• Jack, your pump is a generic replacement. The original will be a button top with a CARbureTER Made in USA casting and a 3939-S stamping. That pump is unique to 65 Hipo 289 engines only.

Your dipstick tube should be black and the handle should be chrome.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I have a May, '65 built San Jose built HiPo. What should the fuel pump look like? I didn't think it was supposed to have the button (teapot) on the top. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

David

• Official Post

David, I am not computer savvy enough to post pictures so I am posting a link to what your fuel pump should look like. It will definitely have the button top as that basic design was still being used on some pumps up to 1971. The one in the picture is not a Hipo pump as it only has one return spring. If you want one that looks correct without being the elusive and expensive 3939-S Hipo one, I do have freshly restored ones available.

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp…ms=65,fuel,pump

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!