Drum Brake Shoes

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The "B" suffix is a 29/32" cylinder. If the article listed the "A" suffix as a 29/32" cylinder, the article is incorrect. The "A" suffix is definitely a 15/16" cylinder.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thanks Fred. The Ford MPC I have (65-72) doesn't list anything different for 65-66 GT350 rear cylinders, which isn't too surprising, just shows C3OZ-B for all V8's. Do you (or anyone) have documentation showing the 65-66 GT350 used the 15/16" C3OZ-A? I realize all the other parts are Fairlane station wagon stuff and it makes sense the cylinders would be too, just looking for documentation on that. I still have my original cylinders but they were previously honed and rebuilt, not sure how accurate a measurement would be but will try to find them and give it a shot.

Thanks,

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• Dave, You are correct that there is no specific listing for 65 and 66 GT350 in the MPC and I have only been able to go by what has previously been found on original cars. So far they have all been the 15/16" which, as you stated, are Fairlane wagon which was the source for the rest of the rear brakes. The MPC does not really list rear wheel cylinders very well as you are required to know the size before ordering one. The listing is very vague and especially on 6 cylinder cars. The Fairlane listings are equally vague and are only by size and not application regardless of engine size or body style. As a Ford parts manager, I just had to know from experience. Keep in mind that generally the wheel cylinder rubber cups have the size cast into them.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• There is a lot of confusion about wheel cylinders. The sizing is all about balancing front and back. If you have too much braking in the back, the rear tires will lock up first. Putting larger cylinders on the rear can lead to worse braking, not better. Best to stick with what Ford or Shelby did than to assume bigger is better.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!