TopLoader Tag info

• Acording to Tony's book, my 65 should have a HEH-BX TopLoader, whereas my tag shows a HEH-P, 020021. What does that mean?

Walter

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 01/30/2009 23:07:14

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Acording to Tony's book, my 65 should have a HEH-BX TopLoader, whereas my tag shows a HEH-P, 020021. What does that mean?

Walter

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>According to my interchange manual that tranny was used during Aug 20 1964 and Dec 30 1964 on 260 or 289 (non Hipo) equipped Mustangs. The HEH-BX was used on 65-67 Hipo Mustangs and also 67 Cougars w/the 289ci 271HP engine. </font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://s4.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

Edited by - 65Rangoon on 01/29/2009 18:37:11

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Tony's book doesn't list a HEH-BT at all.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Sorry, typo. HEH-T is the most common in '65. The changeover in the Ford parts books does not reflect the actual changeover from the HEH-T to the HEH-BX. There are many later '65 hi-po's found with HEH-T's.

I don't want to replace it because it works well. Anyone know how to tell if it's a close ration?

You'll have to count the teeth on 2nd gear. Should be 28 for a close ratio.

• I just found something online stating that the HEH-P is a wide ratio box. Depending on price, location, etc, I might be interested in buying an HEH-BX close ratio and replacing the P model. How difficult is it to find one and how much would I expect to have to pay?

• Walter, the Ford parts book shows the same information that you are quoting and up until a couple of years ago that was deemed to be gospel. Information has recently surfaced through this forum of Kars built far after the changeover date which still have HEH-T transmissions. These are Kars with VIN stamped cases which gives them high credibility. I truly believe that Ford made a mistake in the book and really meant the dates to be as planned but ended up with too many HEH-T transmissions left over and just kept putting them in Kars. The only real difference other than the tag is the tail housing as the HEH-T has a C4DR housing with the extra mounting bosses for a Falcon shifter. The rear two Falcon shifter bosses are cut off to clear the Mustang linkage and therefore can not be used for a Falcon. The HEH-BX has a C4ZR tail housing that does not have the Falcon shifter mouting bosses. You will still need an HEH-T trans.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Walter, you can convert your gearbox to a close ratio however it is better to sell yours as at least it is still good. In order to change it over you will need a cluster, input shaft, second and third gears. That plus the time to change it over can be expensive. Of course you will still have the incorrect tag so everyone will think that the box is still a wide ratio and incorrect. You will also end up a set of less desirable wide ratio gears left over.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!