Another numbers question

• Hi all,

I Know you guys are the best at de-Koding the date codes and I wondered if my 10/65 San Jose 'A' code GT has a 'correct' block. Its date, on the casting, is 4G28 and stamped in various machined surfaces is 4H19 C and 4H19S. Its a C5AE block. The heads are 5K5.

I intrepret this block to be from April of '64 and probably too early for my car. Would this be correct?

Thanks!

Greg Z

• 4G28 is July 28, 1964 (date block was cast)

4H19 is August 19, 1964 (if stamped into the block it is most likely the date the engine was assembled)

Both look good for a October 1964 car

• The problem on the block codes is that your car was made in October of 1965 and not October of 1964. Your October 1965 heads would seem to be correct.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• "The problem on the block codes is that your car was made in October of 1965 and not October of 1964. Your October 1965 heads would seem to be correct."

That's what I thought. Thanks!

Greg Z

• Guys, if you don't mind, I'd like to bring this up again. On the recommendation of rockhouse66, I bought the Bob Mannel book on small block Fords. What a fantastic reference! Thanks Jim.

Chapter 5 outlines the transition from 5 bolt to 6 bolt blocks.

I'm confused with what I have. My dates seem to indicate April of '64

[Blocked Image: http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/gjz30075/Mustang/289blockcode4.jpg]

And assembly shortly thereafter.

[Blocked Image: http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii85/gjz30075/Mustang/289blockcode2.jpg]

But it's a 6 bolt block, looking like what is pic a on page 5-9 (5A5) but the begining of the chapter indicates August as the transition point to 6 bolt blocks.

Am I interpreting these numbers wrong?

Thanks

Greg Z

• You have to realize that parts would have been made in advance to ramp up to the new production changes. The casting date of 4G28 is July 28, 1964, making this a very early 6 bolt. 4H19 is the assembly date of the block, which is August 19, 1964.

• Thanks Charles. The light bulb is finally glowing in my head now. I don't know why I kept thinking April, but the explanations certainly make sense now.

Greg Z

• I have pictures of a C5AE-6015-E HiPo block cast on 4G24 and assembled on 4K16. Since 1965 Mustang production began at the start of August, engine blocks would have been cast in July. Some might have even been assembled in very late July 1964.

There are occasionally oddball occurrences in manufacturing, so history of a car is important. If an engine fails its test (already assembled) and is deemed repairable, it can get sidelined for a considerable time before being installed. It is rare, but possible, so should be considered. Check for other evidence such as VIN stampings on the block or other internal components with date codes.

As an illustration, I found a late 1964 Fairlane HiPo rear in my late 1965 Fairlane HiPo (nine months difference). It seemed highly unlikely that another Fairlane HiPo rear would have been installed in my car -- they are just too rare. But, I did not like the date code discrepancy. When I got around to cleaning it, I encountered what I thought was a very resistant clump of dirt or tar. It turned out to be a weld. Further inspection revealed that the stamping of the center section had folded over on itself rather than formed smoothly. The fold cracked. This would have caused a leak. The repair consisted of welding the crack and resurfacing the third-member mating surface at the weld. When the repair was done, the housing was eventually put back into the production flow (my conclusion). The key evidence is that the original crack was definitely a manufacturing defect.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!