rear spring markings

• Hi,

My name is Chris I live in England and have a 65 muzi,got the 289 high performance book thats how got onto this site,seen a lot early cars with yellow and green sprayed dots on rear springs in the book only has stripes anyone have any info or were to find out whats correct.

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 03/20/2008 07:02:46

• Hi,

Have understood that both dots and stripes could have been used.

All 65's (Shelbys) from the San Jose plant I have seen have had

dots. In fact I cleaned two HiPo spring leafs yesterday and they

had a yellow dot. Couldn't see any green on any of these but they

have been untouched for almost 43 years.

/Bo

• Some of them had dots and some had stripes. Jeff Speegle has an image in his files somewhere of a car that actually has one spring with stripes and one with dots. There is a reference in the Ford drawings of the paint on the stripes being applied to all of the leafs in the stack.

• were would I find anything written down,books or ford paper work,only over here theres not much detailing info available,nice to refer any one with a problem to a book or some thing the HPM book only has the stripes in it.

chris

• You can buy the Ford Factory Assembly Manuals from NPD or most of the Mustang supply houses. They are reproduced under license from Ford by Osborn Publications. There are a total of 5.

• will they have the info on the dots or stripes on the rear springs, I have the chassis assembly manual it shows were the marks go no colours or positions shown.

Chris

• Were these spray dots on all the springs they used on the Mustangs or just in certain plants?I'm looking for info on what would be correct for early Dearborn car?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Did both spring have the same two spray marks?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Yes, each spring would be marked to identify the application for factory line workers.

• Maybe a strange question, but were these green and yellow dots

originally sprayed or slashed on with brushes? Mine looked like they were slashed on with brushes.

/Bo

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Maybe a strange question, but were these green and yellow dots

originally sprayed or slashed on with brushes? Mine looked like they were slashed on with brushes.

/Bo

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That was the question posed above. The answer is that San Jose and Dearborn typically used spray dots for identification. Metuchen was typically stripes.

• Seen allot of stripes on San Jose cars - once you get to the end of 65 production. Especially into 66 , though there is some intermixing for a while.

Just my observations

Some of them had dots and some had stripes. Jeff Speegle has an image in his files somewhere of a car that actually has one spring with stripes and one with dots. There is a reference in the Ford drawings of the paint on the stripes being applied to all of the leafs in the stack.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Seen allot of stripes on San Jose cars - once you get to the end of 65 production. Especially into 66 , though there is some intermixing for a while.

Just my observations

My late March 66 SJ car (GT 350, 6S1757) has one original spring with dots and one with stripes. This is probably the picture Jeff has as we've discussed this subject here and also on the VMF. The pic is also in this thread:

http://www.hipomustang.com/hpmx/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9551

Dave
    6S1757

• Sorry, but I am not convinced about the spray versus brushes.

To me the paint dots looks too thick for being applied with

spray and the edges looks like it's still kind of thick instead of

being thinner. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first

time. What about other markings like on steering components

etc. Were they applied with spray as well? For example the HiPo

engine insulators are marked with yellow and all 4 NOS I have are as far as I can see marked with a brush.

/Bo

Sorry, but I am not convinced about the spray versus brushes.

To me the paint dots looks too thick for being applied with

spray and the edges looks like it's still kind of thick instead of

being thinner. Could be wrong, wouldn't be the first

time. What about other markings like on steering components

etc. Were they applied with spray as well? For example the HiPo

engine insulators are marked with yellow and all 4 NOS I have are as far as I can see marked with a brush.

/Bo

Thought this has been covered before. Here's some spray dots on a June '65 Dearborn car with 10k original miles.

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/leaf_springs/

Most likely, what you are seeing as thick spots is simply the remnants leftover from many years of exposure. Not too many examples survive like as in the pics above.

Have found a combination of sprayed and brushed/daubed front suspension components. Just depends where/when it was made and even then, it's not clear cut. There's a few examples on the K convertible blog: http://65kresto.blogspot.com/

• Agree with Charles- from all the paint marks and daubs I've seen and have pictures of - it just depends on where the mark is and who placed it. There is a good mix of both

Some of the writting was also applied IMHO with the paint ball marker - which were real popular at the time.

You can still purchase these - basically a small plastic squeeze bottle with a tip and a ball at the end. Used commonly to mark parts at wrecking yards.

<b>Mad4HiPos</b>- Yes I recall your having one of each (rear spring marks) Yours is not the only one one of the original drive tests shows an early Shelby with one of each also. Just must have been that time period when San Jose had received a pallet of each and the mixed and matched

We even have one restorer that does one of each - allot Hate when each becomes a cookie cutter of another

<b>Mad4HiPos</b>- Yes I recall your having one of each (rear spring marks) Yours is not the only one one of the original drive tests shows an early Shelby with one of each also. Just must have been that time period when San Jose had received a pallet of each and the mixed and matched

We even have one restorer that does one of each - allot qHate when each becomes a cookie cutter of another

Thanks Jeff, I know we've discussed this before but guess my point is the mixing & matching went well into 66 San Jose production given the late March 66 scheduled build date for 6S1757.

Glad I took pics of all this stuff. If I ever decide to do a t-bred resto I can see now trying to explain the green over yellow & yellow over green painted stripes on the one spring.

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!