1966 Engine ID Tags

• Just doing a bit of research in finding out how many 1966 Hipo cars have either level 8,9, or 10 level change on their tag, and other than the 245-S code, what others have stamped on their engine tag. Note where your car was built. Thanks in advance to all who participate. Added 01-03-2008, how many of your engine ID tags do not have a fomoco logo on it.

MMV - Mark Vasquez

Edited by - mmv.hipo on 01/03/2008 19:37:57

• That thread was/is very interesting. It goes to show that nothing is ever in concrete when it comes to the way Fords were built. There were standards, but there were also exceptions for what ever reasons. I suspect, (my own opinion), that those exceptions although correct for the time created were out of the norm. I tend to agree based on the head design of the "K" heads that all 1966 cars would of been/stayed at Level #9. It would be a BIG find to get something documented that describes the ending suffix letter after the 3 digit engine number. I'm in the process of having Marti AutoWorks create a Tag for me, and this information can/will substantiate a correctly made one.

Mark Vasquez

• Mark, I am sure that you really believe that most of us still have our original engine ID tags however from my experience I doubt that we do. They do seem to disappear from Hipo engine more often probably from being worked on more during their lifetime. This is especially true when high rise manifolds and Holley carbs are changed out to try to get more performance which is what these Kars were made for. However this is just my opinion and has no real basis in fact.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Mark, I am sure that you really believe that most of us still have our original engine ID tags however from my experience I doubt that we do. They do seem to disappear from Hipo engine more often probably from being worked on more during their lifetime. This is especially true when high rise manifolds and Holley carbs are changed out to try to get more performance which is what these Kars were made for. However this is just my opinion and has no real basis in fact.

-Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I dont have one, its been gone since the late 70s, when I installed an aftermarket intake and carb. what info is needed in order to have one of these made up and how much?

..Mark

• I appreciate everyones input. I guess I did have the asumption that many owners had the original tags. Ron Bramlett has the original one on his Hipo (1966), but I just wanted additional input so that I could compare with what Marti Autoworks is providing to his customer base. I have seen various originals (all types of engines) that did not contain the Fomoco oval logo. Maybe the person was just in a hurry to stamp the tag. Bob Mannel's input also has been helpful.

Mark Vasquez

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!