paxton and engine question

• After the holidays I will start to rebuild the k code engine that came equiped with a paxton supercharger. I know that orginally the superchargers were put on the engines without any modifications to the engine. My question is..... should I do anything special to the engine to ensure reliability to this engine with the supercharger installed. I'm not going to race this car, primarily it will be an ocassionally driven show car. Although I know myself well enough to know I'm going to get into it once in a while. I've called the Paxton people and was told rebuilt it like you would any other engine. If anyone out there has any sugestions I sure would like to hear from you. Thanks

• All good points have been presented but make sure you true the deck and heads and please use a high quality head gasket as that's where the only problem will present itself if you stand on it!

• This is probably obvious but you will be stuffing a lot more air into the engine and it has the get out. A free flowing exhaust system is a must.

Dave
    6S1757

• The people at Paxton are correct. This supercharger does not put out much boost compared to many of todays superchargers. The best bang for the buck would be to contact a reputable custom cam provider like Flowtech Induction and have them design a cam for your forced induction setup. I have used two of Ed Curtis' cams and have been very pleased. Much more power everywhere in the power curve compared to any over the counter camshaft. Port matching and smoothing the ports won't get you much. If you do any work, get a good competition valve job done and have a reputable shop do some work in the bowl area behind the valves.

• I've used a vintage Paxton set-up on two different GT-350's. They both had the stock 10:1 pistons. I never had any problems with detonation due to the high compression ratio. As previously noted, the boost with the vintage Paxton is low by modern standards. If one was wanting to use a modern Paxton, I would think a lower compression ratio would be more critical. In either case, a 2.5" exhaust w/ good quality headers is a must.

Z. Ray

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!