• I just got my carb back from Pony for my 66 and I had to have them put a tag on it as mine was missing. This is the information they put on the tag: C5ZF C and a date code of A 5CB.

Looking at Tony's book and I don't even see a C5ZF C engineering number.

My engine build date is 6B17C and the scheduled build date for the car is 02C.

Are the dates for the carb supposed to be calculated based on the engine assembly or car scheduled build date?

Am I correct in thinking this tag is totally incorrect? What should be on my tag? Thanks for any help.

Gary

• Your tag should be C6ZF-C and the stamping on the left front toe at the base of the carb should be 6ZC. It sounds to me like they mixed your tag up with someone elses tag.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• The date on the carburetor is independent of the scheduled build date, but must be before the engine assembly date since the engine is not complete without a carburetor. Your engine date is 6B17, so a 6BC or earlier carb tag could not be questioned. I would use some other date codes around the engine to make a good choice. You can check the block casting date code, the intake manifold, heads, distributor, fan, exhaust manifolds, etc. -- whatever is not too much trouble to see. Then select a week that is not before the earliest casting and not later than the assembly date. Something in the middle if the dates are close. My guess is that a 6BA or 6BB would be fine.

• Thanks Fred and Bob. The casting date of the heads is 6A31 so I will go with Bob's recommended 6BA. This would be the first week of Feb 66 correct?

Fred the base is stamped correct and everything about the carb numbers are correct as it is the original carb that came on the car. I think you are correct when you say they probably got it mixed up with someone else's tag.

Gary

• Could the zero (0) perhaps be a D? I have looked at it with a magnifing glass and it really looks like a zero (0) but the font is a bit more square so I suppose it could be a D but the 3 does not fit the format unless earlier carbs used a 3 to represent the 3rd week instead of a C. Do I have a Apr 1965 3rd week?

• POBOY427,

Your 715 Holley carb was built in October of 1965 in the third week. Holley used three digit date codes up to 1972 with the first digit being the year. The second digit is the month from 1 (January) through 10 (October) with the 10 shortened to a 0. Then A and B designate November and December. I have personally never seen the A or B months on a Holley carb as yet. The third digit of a 1 to 5 is the week of the month.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have a 715 Holley list 3259 with a date code beneath the list number of 503. This date code does not seem to fit the format of year month week. Any input?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

are you looking to sell or trade the 715 Holley ? I'm looking for one for my '66 GT-350. Currently have a '67 date code 715 taken off a '67 GT350.

Z. Ray

Edited by - zrayrichter on 09/26/2007 10:35:01

• I have a very original early(not a left over 65) 66 Shelby 5L that has been the family since mid 70's.

The carb is a 5K or Oct carb which means it too proofs to be original as I fully expected. It does not however have the Shelby PN on it as I have see before. Anybody know why no Shelby number or when the Shelby number started and stopped?

NOT FOR SALE

• My friend's car 6S923 has an original Holley 3259

dated 581, i.e. first week of August 1965 and

the car was built in Jan-Feb. 66. They started with the use

of S2MS carbs later in the 66 model year but I don't know the exact date.

/Bo

• Ok your friends car is later than mine as mine is Nov. But his carb is older than mine. His carb is Aug 65 and mine is Oct 65. He has a differant date code format than mine, (Review this thread). Not trying to beat a dead horse ( no pun intended) but when we kick these things back and forth inside out is when new findings develope. Just when you think a pattern is developing an exception pops up.

Marv and I were discussing development of research (poll) to determine how long it took typically to rail-ship engines to San Jose from assembly points Cleveland and Windsor,Ont.

That then begs the question were they all shipped by rail. I have seen what looks like (in my case) less than 30 days from the foundry to assembly to intall at the San Jose factory in less than 30 days. I have see other cars with 90 day time frames.

Maybe the pattern is that there is no pattern. My gut feeling is that the K-Code production demand was most irregular and the HiPo had to be as well. I would have thought HiPo's would have been perhaps stock-piled in at least San Jose due to the Shelby demand but I don't see that either.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!