Coil Markings

• Anybody know for sure what the embossed code

on the yellow top coil between the posts stands

for? Date code is applied with the ink stamp

and doesn't match the embossed code on the top.

For example an original coil dated 5DCB has an

embossed code of 7B.

Thanks for any help.

/Bo

• Until recently I was convinced that those little characters indicated the date the coil was molded. My April 22 65 car had 5C molded on the top of the coil and it seemed logical that those little figures indicated March 65. I was corrected on one of the forums, so I have no clue as to the true meaning. I hope that sommeone can solve this little mystery! One more thing that I THOUGHT I knew but was proved wrong, and one more example of the importance of sharing knowledge on the net. Somebody somewhere has the key to solve this and maybe they will share their knowledge with the rest of us.

• It is possible that those markings are 'mold' identifiers. That's the only reason I can think of based on letters and numbers I've seen while in the electronics industry.

Jim

• Including the one on my car I have four original coils. The codes are 2A, 7A, 4D, and 8D. It would be interesting to know what other people have for codes.

Dave
    6S1757

• Hi,

My codes are 2D, 3D, 5B and 7A.

One, 5B had an index button (filed down) and bracket with

a hole for the index button.

The other three have no trace of any index button and brackets

without the hole.

Have heard that the index button and subsequent bracket with

a hole were not produced after April 1965, ie. 5DD something should

be the last date on the ink stamp. Anybody has anything else

on that issue?

/Bo

• One of my loose coils has a code of '3 G', the other, with the original Ford part number stamp still legible and its 'mirror' image transfered to the bracket, shows a date code of '5CBC' and the code on the top of '4 B'.

Jim

• Bo,

No button on the body, but there is the hole in the bracket. As to the car, I got the coil from a friend in Mustang salvage business out of the pile of coils.

Jim

Edited by - jwc66k on 09/02/2007 14:28:30

• Thanks Jim,

Strange that the coil doesn't have the button.

JD Larson has a NOS coil in the Fomoco box for

sale, dated 5DCB on the ink stamp and it has the button.

Thanks,

/Bo

• This morning while fooling around in the shop I took the time to check the raised numbers between the posts on four yellow top coils and here are the results: 5B,5D,6D,3B. I could not find/read the date code printed on the coils so no relationship can be determined to raised numbers/ manufacture date but it does seem that one is related to the other. The mystery continues.

• That's a lot of different codes. Here's what we have so far in order:

2A, 2D, 3B, 3D, 3G, 4B, 4D, 5B(2), 5D, 6D, 7A(2), 8D.

Dave
    6S1757

• I have three original coils. Two have dimples. One has no marking between the terminals. The other is marked 6B. Nothing left of the ink stamping, but I believe these coils were from the 62-63 time period. The third coil still has a good stamping 4ACC. The marking between the terminals is 5D. It has no dimple. This one came from a 64 289.

In my years of junkyard research, I have found 64 coils without dimples and 65 coils with dimples. But all the 62-63 coils had dimples and all the 66 and later coils did not. So, some time in the 64-65 they must have been mixed, but the direction was for no dimples. The dimple was used to index the coil and bracket for mounting on the intake manifold (62-64 cars). From 65 and on, the dimple was useless in production.

I also found coil brackets of four different configurations. A picture will help...

[Blocked Image: http://www.fordsmallblock.com/Pictures/Coil-Brackets.jpg]

Only one is compatible with the 62-64 intake manifold mounting with dimpled coil. Another could mount the non-dimpled coil on the 62-64 manifold. All could mount the 65 coil to the head, dimpled or not, because the bracket was below the dimple.

It is possible that the marking between the terminals has more to do with identifying a particular mold for making the top. I would imagine that many coil tops were made at the same time. But, for sure, it is not a date code.

Edited by - bobmannel on 09/07/2007 13:45:00

• Thanks Bob,

I have a 65 coil dated 5DCB with a dimple and the

bracket has a hole but I must place the coil deeper

in the bracket, i.e. below the dimple to get it to fit my 65

GT350 without hitting the waterpump, correct?

Saw a 1965 picture of 5S114 from the Mustang GT350 web site and

it looks like that's exactly what the Ford factory did.

This means that the ink stamping on the coil won't be visable

when the coil is mounted as the bracket covers it.

/Bo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!