Limited Slip Rearend

• I am curious as to how many of you with original cars have the limited slip trac loc rearend. My car has this option. I am curious as to how rare it is. If I recall correctly, it wasn't offered in high powered cars until 1966. Perhaps some of our experts can refresh my memory as to why it wasn't offered until '66.

• Is your car an automatic? Ford parts books listed only a 3.50:1 rear with Equa-lock. The 3.50 was generally used with an automatic, although optional with the 4-speed. I don't think Ford trusted the Equa-lock limited-slip behind a high revving high performance engine -- probably anticipated too much warranty work. Torque sensitive locking rears would come out in 1968.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I don't think Ford trusted the Equa-lock limited-slip behind a high revving high performance engine -- probably anticipated too much warranty work. Torque sensitive locking rears would come out in 1968.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I agree...at that time (1965) Ford was concerned with warranty issues regarding the Equa-Lock. I was once told that the available lubricants were part of the problem at that time. Improved lubricants and additives came along, and by 1966, there was a shift in thinking at Ford, allowing the 9" Equa-Lock to be ordered with the HiPo.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

So the thinking is that the 65 Mustang got only a Limited Slip posi and you couldn't option a Detroit Locker?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Let's see if this can be sorted out correctly. In 1965, the Mustangs with a <i>standard V-8</i> could be ordered with an Equa-Lock in the 8" rear axle. The HiPo 289 was specifically NOT available with the Equa-Lock in the 9"...The 1965 Shelby GT-350's were offered with the Detroit Locker.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!