What to do for new Tires

• Unrestored White on red 66 K koupe. Currently has old (read dry rotted)cheap, all season 195/75/14 WW radials on SS wheels. Want to keep the SS wheels but go up to a touring/performance tire maybe 205/70/14 or 215/70/14 size. Hard to find WW in these sizes, how do you think blackwalls would look? Do you think 215/70/14 is too big for the stock rims? Any comments or personal opinions welcome, still trying to make up my mind.

[Blocked Image: http://i35.tinypic.com/dcbp09.jpg]

• definitely keep white walls, and go with the 205s (my opinion) I just got some myself, and they were Yokohoma Avid Touring. Not expensive at all, either. Do a search as there was a good thread on this within the past year.

• I would not go any bigger than the 205's as any more may start interference problems with your front fenders on turns and going in and out of driveways.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

definitely keep white walls, and go with the 205s (my opinion) I just got some myself, and they were Yokohoma Avid Touring. Not expensive at all, either. Do a search as there was a good thread on this within the past year.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

there are some good tires in the 195/70-14 size (I use Goodrich Traction T/A in that size). Don't know about the white sidewalls

Z. Ray

• Check out the Firestone FR380 tires. Correct size with whitewall and seems to be of average quality. Available at just about any Firestone store. It is the tire I am considering to replace my 22 year old Goodyear 6.95 X 14 whitewalls. P195 / 75 R 14, 55,000 mile tire, lists at 52.99 at the dealer near me. Very difficult to locate a 14 inch whitewall tire.

• Tell me about it. Tire Rack seem to be the only one with a performance based whitewall in the 205/70/14 size. Shes allready got off brand tires on it that are terrible "190 tread wear B traction c temp" Was all my Dad could find at the time. Would love redlines but there're not in the budget right now. Like the white letters, especially on 69-73 Mustangs but I think the whitewalls are more period for this car.

• I called two of my local tire shops, and got those same Yoks from Tire Rack locally for the same price - they had to order, but no big deal. This was in July, and they were becomming scarce, but still available at the time. Won't hurt to call your favorite shop to see.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!