Rear main seal locating pin(s)?

• Hi guys,

I'm having a rear main seal oil leak investigated and was wondering if there is only one locating pin for the seal. Found one on the bottom half, but is there another one on the top half?

Wanting to avoid removing the engine to find out. We're replacing the rope seal with a neoprene one and it doesn't sit flush with the pin there.

Thanks. Phil.

• Phil, The pin is only in the main cap. There is not one in the block. The pin is only there to keep the rope type seal from spinning in the cap. You need to remove the pin when installing the split lip type of seal. The seal should not be installed flush with the cap part line but rather slightly offset. The split lip type of rear main seals sometimes come the instructions for this. Sometimes the instructions are in a gasket kit. It is not complicated so even without instructions, I am sure that you will figure out what I am trying to say.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Hi Fred,

We've removed the pin and the seal fits much better, we just wanted to make sure that was the only pin before we put it all back together.

Thanks again. Phil.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Phil, The pin is only in the main cap. There is not one in the block. The pin is only there to keep the rope type seal from spinning in the cap. You need to remove the pin when installing the split lip type of seal. The seal should not be installed flush with the cap part line but rather slightly offset. The split lip type of rear main seals sometimes come the instructions for this. Sometimes the instructions are in a gasket kit. It is not complicated so even without instructions, I am sure that you will figure out what I am trying to say.

-Fred-

Fred

The main seals I have in a Felpro gasket set have little 'feet' on the ends. what do you do with these ? as they wont allow you to rotate the seal away from the slit line.

Thanks

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Edited by - cobraboy on 03/24/2011 01:52:41

• Mark, The "little feet" that you speak of are for a later application as this seal also fits a 2.3 liter OHC 4 cylinder engine. Ford did not use the split lip seal until 1969 and it was made without the "little feet". Ford replaced that 1969 part number with a 1974 number for the 2.3 liter engine and that was the application that uses the "little feet". I have never seen an instruction sheet telling you what to do with the "little feet" but they do need to go. All that you need to do is to trim the feet off of the sides of the seal and a razor blade works very well.

Bos, In regards to filling the hole for the pin, I have never filled it as it is outside the rear main seal and the rear main seal covers the hole from the inside. The rear pan seal covers the hole from the outside. If you end up with a leak there it is most likely another issue and not the pin hole being as the oil would need to get past the rear main seal first. I have never experienced a leak from that area in all of the engines I have done over the years however filling the hole is cheap insurance.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks Fred

I am about to start assembleing my engine after a winter refresh project, there is seemingly no end of quirks to get over.

Thanks for the tip.

Cheers for the sealant tip Ralph.

Mark

• Thanks Fred,

I just followed the instructions from I believe,

How To Rebuild Small Block Ford Engines or

something. Another thing I did was to grease the edge

of the seal lips before installation. This was something I learnt

after having a leak through the seal. Probably the engine was sitting too long after rebuild and when started the lip was destroyed.

/Bo

Edited by - BoS on 03/24/2011 22:08:47

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!