• Does anyone know if a 3in or 4in filter element will fit the 289 hipo with enough clearance for the hood to close? I'm looking at an element air filter to make this bad boy breath a little easier. Of course I always keep the original parts if I change something. Thanks alot! The info has been great.

• I picked up about 15hp (per dyno results) with an K&N A140E8, which is 14" x 2 1/8". I have about 3/4" hood clearance running an Air Gap manifold. My car is an early '66 with standard '65 mounts.

Hope this helps

Greg Z

• That sounds good. I thought I could go 3" but it looks like 2" is it. I'm going to try the Extreme 14 X 2. It has a filter element on top, so that 3/4" gap on top would be perfect. Thanks Alot! Merry Christmas!

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I picked up about 15hp (per dyno results) with an K&N A140E8, which is 14" x 2 1/8". I have about 3/4" hood clearance running an Air Gap manifold. My car is an early '66 with standard '65 mounts.

Hope this helps

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Was this 15hp increase on the dyno done on YOUR car? in YOUR presence?

• Yes. I should also point out, which I should have earlier, that this is on a 331 cid with AFR 185 heads, among other things done. This engine needed air, which an aftermarket, 'correct' looking hipo air filter element, couldn't provide.

So, not quite an 'apples to apples' comparison but it worked for me. As stated, this particular K&N filter is only 1/8" taller than stock and works well in my application.

Greg Z

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I picked up about 15hp (per dyno results) with an K&N A140E8, which is 14" x 2 1/8". I have about 3/4" hood clearance running an Air Gap manifold. My car is an early '66 with standard '65 mounts.

Hope this helps

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Was this 15hp increase on the dyno done on YOUR car? in YOUR presence?

I have read an article in one of the National Mustang magazines in which a 289 with a K&N power top filter made 15 more HP than one with a stock K air cleaner. They listed the 2 dyno runs. For the life of me I can't find the article now.

Z.

• Those HP gains are believable on larger motors with other goodies on them, but it would be a bit tough to squeeze that kind of horsepower out of a stock 289 HiPo with just an air filter change. Shelby's GT 350 changes have recently been reproduced to show that the advertise gain from 271 HP to 306 HP was legitimate with the addition of the bolt on manifolds, carb, and tuning. If you've made that kind of gain with the air filter that's great news and cheap HP at the end of the day.

• I've used K & N air cleaners for over 30 years mostly off road and they do improve performance and filter better than paper types. The only performance reference I have is from an old catalog that shows a K & N claim of improved air flow of about 70 pct, 508 cfm with a new paper, 887 cfm with a new K & N. The "tests" were done on a bow tie car.

Jim

• My chassis dyno experience on a mild built 289 showed no gains between the stock air cleaner and the air cleaner removed completely.

My chassis dyno experience on a mild built 289 showed no gains between the stock air cleaner and the air cleaner removed completely.

a free flowing air cleaner ALWAYS works better than no air cleaner. Same reason velocity stacks work better than no stacks.

Z.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!