• I need some help in reguards to a t-5 swap I did to my car last year. Ever since I did this swap I have violent clutch chatter taking off, mostly on hills. I replaced my rear main seal when I did the swap and its seemed to leak ever since. I did take the pin out so thats not why its leaking. All my U joints, motor/trans mounts, leaf springs are brand new. I've had this tranny out three times, replaced the clutch twice and resurfaced the flywheel. I have pointed my finger at rear end gears(3.23), tire size(245/40zr18) but it just doesnt make sense. Please throw any ideas at me before I rip it out again and have both my motor and tranny rebuilt.

Thanks

Duke

• Have you looked at how much play there is between the tailshaft bushing and your driveshaft slip yoke. You should also make sure that the slip yoke is far enough into the tailshaft housing. both will cause shuddering when the clutch is engaged.

• that is something I'm going to check now. if it is with in spec then im going to put the t10 back in and hopefully be able to drive. thanks for your reply, keep them coming even if its the smallest thing that i might have over looked.

Duke

• well checked the yoke to tail shaft and it was with in spec. I ended up pulling the t5 out and put my t10 back in to see if i still have the same problem. at least i have the whole pull the tranny/bellhousing/clutch thing down where i think i could be in nascar. i'll keep everyone interested posted on what comes of all this.

thanks

duke

• Did you check the bellhousing alinement? The adaptor plate or different bellhousing that you used could be out of alinement. That will cause clutch problems. Tom

• Here are two other things to check. One, the clips that tie the springs together must be tight. On my 64.5 the clips loosened up on the back half of the springs and mine chattered every time I tried to back up in reverse. If the front clips are loose, it could chatter while starting in foreward.

Second, check the motor mounts. If either is loose or broken, this will also cause chatter when starting. Try watching the engine(hood open) while starting in first gear. If the engine lifts excesively, its a left mount problem. Try it also in reverse. If the engine lifts in reverse, its a right mount problem. The engine torks in the oppisite direction in reverse. That sounds dumb, but try it if you don't belive me. Good luck finding the problem. Tom

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!