My Kar's oil

• Hi everyone.

At the start of this year I bought a 65 K-code. One of the first things I checked upon purchase was the oil. According to the dip stick it was full. Last weekend I took it for a drive, during which my oil gauge stopped working properly. It kept fluctuating off the scale in both directions (I also noted that temperature gauge also played up but only for a brief moment). I immediately checked the oil levels myself to make sure only to find that it was down to (again according to the dip stick) low. After letting it sit for a day it was still low.

I would have only done about 500 miles in the half a year I have owned it. There are no pools of oil on the ground where I store the car, so I'm assuming the car is using oil (although when running there is no black smoke).

Have any of you come across this before? Also, I am going to use this as an excuse to do an oil change and was wondering if anyone out there had recommendations on what the best oil (and filter) is to use for the Hi-Po. The car lives in the warm climate of Brisbane, Australia (which is roughly the same as Miami, Florida).

• First, you fail to mention how many miles on engine. Regardless here area few suggestions. Check connection at oil pressure switch for looseness, if loose, will cause fluctuation. Same holds true for oil pressure gauge. If all checks ok, add oil to the full mark and remove oil pressure sending unit. Install manual gauge to check oil pressure. Oil pressure on a cold engine will generally be higher than when at operating temp. Look for 25-50 psi on average. If oil pressure is lower ( 20 psi or less) on hot engine you have an internal wear problem (i.e.worn main bearings). Possible oil pump but not likely. As to what weight oil add 30 weight for test. This is when mileage may be in a factor in determining what oil to use.

Hope this helps,

Rick

• <div class="bbcode_quote_head">Quote:
    ......... Also, I am going to use this as an excuse to do an oil change and was wondering if anyone out there had recommendations on what the best oil (and filter) is to use for the Hi-Po. The car lives in the warm climate of Brisbane, Australia (which is roughly the same as Miami, Florida)............
    </div>

There are probably as many different opinions on the "right" oils to use as there are members of this forum. My $ 0.02 : I use Mobil 1 15w-50 & a Mobil 1 oil filter, # M-301. After 23,000 miles I have normal oil consumption, no leaks or wear. I changed to Mobil 1 2000 miles after a major engine overhaul.

My car is driven frequently in a tough climate; Central & West Texas. Just drove 1500 miles in a little over 48 hours through West Texas & New Mexico, with altitudes ranging from 700' elevation to 7500' elevation Nice trip, no mechanical issues. I did adjust the idle when I reached 4000' elevation.

However my back is now toast. Those motorcycle "incidents" will come back and haunt you...

For more info on Mobil 1:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mo…et_Engines.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mo…assic_Cars.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mo…_1_15W-50_.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mo…l_Pushrods.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/Mo…oduct_Guide.pdf

Z. Ray

Edited by - zrayrichter on 07/04/2008 14:09:33

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Hi everyone.

At the start of this year I bought a 65 K-code. One of the first things I checked upon purchase was the oil. According to the dip stick it was full. Last weekend I took it for a drive, during which my oil gauge stopped working properly. It kept fluctuating off the scale in both directions (I also noted that temperature gauge also played up but only for a brief moment). I immediately checked the oil levels myself to make sure only to find that it was down to (again according to the dip stick) low. After letting it sit for a day it was still low.

I would have only done about 500 miles in the half a year I have owned it. There are no pools of oil on the ground where I store the car, so I'm assuming the car is using oil (although when running there is no black smoke).

Have any of you come across this before? Also, I am going to use this as an excuse to do an oil change and was wondering if anyone out there had recommendations on what the best oil (and filter) is to use for the Hi-Po. The car lives in the warm climate of Brisbane, Australia (which is roughly the same as Miami, Florida).

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

A 65 does not normally come with an oil pressure gauge unless it's a GT. However, both the oil and temperature gauges use voltage from the constant voltage unit for operation. If you still have a problem, check that unit.

I've used Quaker State or Penzoil for almost 50 years with no problems in street, tow and race vehicles, that's in Northern California where it does get into the 90's a few times a year. I don't know what you have available down there so a recomemdation is a bit hard. I change oil and filter every 3,000 miles. The only filter not recomemded is made by Fram. It has less filtration surface of all the major ones.

See this link for more info -

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Jim

• As for oil - the gurus on the NCRS (National Corvette Restorers Society) forum agree that the best oil is Diesel Engine oil - 15/40 being the most common. Something to do with the additives in modern diesel oil matching closely with the additives used in engine oils in the 60's (pre catalitic converter days).

• Apparently the recent changes in automotive oil make it unsuitable (low zinc content) for use in high performance cars, vintage cars and motorcycles. Of course, most of my vehicles fit in those categories. So I've done some reading on what oil to use in my various vehicles. There are some some very good oils readily available, probably better than anything on the market not too many years ago.

I've been using Mobil 1 in a lot of cars: 15W-50 in some vintage (including Mustangs) and 5W-30 in later models, my driver Z06 Vette calls for Mobil 1, good choice by GM. However, I also use non-synthetic oil in some cars, for various reasons.

I was in Costco today and saw Mobil 1, 15W-50 for about $24 for 6 quarts, which is about $4 a quart. They have it priced to clear out so it must be a slow seller (you can tell Costco sale or clearance items by the price, all regular prices end in a 9 while close-out or sale items have the price changed to end in a number other than 9). The Costco store in your area may or may not have the oil or the same price.

Costco also has Mobil 1 in 10W-30 and 5W-30 but they are priced at about $31 for 6 quarts and are not on clearance.

With oil prices going up, the 15W-50 might be worth stocking up on.

I've still got some Quaker State 10W-30 from years ago I stocked up on and haven't used up yet so all I need is more oil it will take years to use.

Costco also carries Chevron Delo 400 LE, 15W-40, which is their latest diesel oil. It also has a high zinc (and other minerals) content so should be good for flat-tappet motors. However, it's in the economy 6 gallon for about $60 pack, so it's about $2.50 a quart. Several posters on motorcycle and vintage car forums say they use this oil. I use it in some cars where I think it's more appropriate than synthetic.

I think both Wal-Mart and Sam's Club carry these oils too so it would be good to check prices to see which is cheaper before stocking up.

• Thanks for all the advice. I'm sure with all that input I should be able to get to the bottom of it. Also the car is a GT (in regards to jwc66k)

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!