Reverse Lockout Problem

• Went to a cruise last noght and had an issue getting my kar into reverse. Pulling up on the lockout did not allow the shifter to go into reverse, and the lever was blocked fromgoing into reverse, it worked as if I was not lifting up on it at all. During the trip I tried it a few times and for some reason it worked fine, then again went back again to not working. Got home and as of now the shifter will not go back into reverse. Do I need an adjustment of some type or is there something about the reverse lockout that is failing? Thanks

Jack

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 06/15/2007 21:13:03

• Something is out of whack or broken. Try shifting into neutral and let the clutch out. Then put it in first gear and move the car a bit. Then go to second and then into reverse. If it still won't go, do it again and put it in each gear and move the car a bit. Sometimes this sort of maneuvering will line things up and it will then shift into reverse.

• It's pretty common for the reverse lockout cable to stretch to the point it won't allow you to shift into reverse. It's possible your's is right at that point which may be why you got it to work a few times. Mine had exactly the same symptoms before failing completely. As a quick check try removing or loosening the shifter knob and locknut, this may give some additional travel for the lockout handle so you can get it in reverse.

I had my original shifter rebuilt by Bill Heely, his contact info is on the list, I hightly recommend him if you need that done.

Dave
    6S1757

• Official Post

If your cable has streched, a common problem, I have been successful in adding a flat washer between the shift handle and the shifter mechanism for both bolts. Sometimes if the cable is stretched enough you might need two washers for each bolt. This raises the shifter up enough for the tab to then clear the tower when you pull up on the lockout. There is no downside to this fix. It is just a free fix unless you actually need to go out and buy the washers. Then it may cost you 25 cents plus tax. This will buy you time until the cable completely fails, however mine has been like this for 20 years.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks a lot for the reply's - The shifter works very well when going normally through the gears, so I will try the washer repair this weekend (Thanks Fred!)- nothing better than a possible free fix! Thanks again!

Jack

• If you want to overhaul the lever you can send it to Bill Heeley and he will replace the stranded cable with heavy gauge solid wire. He will return it to you rechromed, with fresh rubber bushings, the correct thicker washers, and new lock bolts. He is in Olney, MD (301) 774-6710

• The washer trick seems to have worked well. Added two washers and put it back together and it now goes into reverse easily every time.I may do the lever rebuild when the car goes into storage at the end of the season. Thanks to all for the help!

Jack

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!