Can a K-Code Block be Sleeved?

• Can a K-Code block be sleeved to bring it back to standard bore? If so, has anyone here done so? Recommendations? Regrets? Please advise.

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 01/13/2007 22:24:52

• I've sleeved 289 engines before with no trouble. Yes, you can go back to std. bore, but keep in mind that sometimes standard size pistons are a little harder to come by, especially in high-performance versions. I stroked a 302 to a 331 2 years ago, had the block sleeved to std. bore. The company that I bought the stroker kit from said std. size pistons would be custom order and would have been quite pricey. Ended up punching the sleeves to .030

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Charles what does it cost approximately to have a block sleeved back to standard?<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Depends where you are (average shop cost) and who does them. Git quoted last year $800-1200 for 8 sleeves

• Good morning,

When I lived in Evergreen, Colorado, Walt Hane

told me that he sleeved all 289 HiPo engines

that he used for racing, whether necessary or not.

He said they ran cooler with the sleeves than without.

/Bo

• Mine has 8 sleeves in it, it was sitting outside for 15 years when my Dad discovered (the original VIN engine for my Kar). As I had 8 NOS std. bore piston and rod assemblies to install in it, we went std. bore.

[Blocked Image: http://home.comcast.net/~ruspen/Pics/a289_NOS_Piston_Rod_2.JPG]

It was then all squared back up and decked afterward.

If you would like to sleeve a block and you are in Michigan get a hold of me. I can set you up with my cousin who's machine shop did all the work on my engine, including resurrecting rotted out heads. Probably the best price. He is now located in Westland, MI for reference.

Regrets? My cousin's place used sleeves a little harder than I would have liked. Ring seating is taking a while, but leak down is slowly coming down. And I can fell it as the rings seat. Oil usage dropped drastically too.

If I was to do it again, I would opt for a softer sleeve. What they used are for 150,000 mile daily engines. Not 1500 mile a year cruisers.

• Just another yes vote for a sleeved blcok. I ran a 289HP sleeved block (2 sleeves) in a 65 Falcon back in the late 60's, no problems whatsoever. I'm sure the technology and machining has improved over the past 40 years.

• Another Testimonial...YES...I sleeved just one cylinder for the HiPo in my 67 GT350 back in 1988 in order to bore 0.020 vs 0.030...Since then, many many hard street miles and dozens of open tracks, hillclimbs, 6-7K rpm run ups...never a problem! Go for it! Never discard the block.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!