1964 Comet Cyclone Hipo

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I AM SELLING A NUMBERS MATCHING 1964 MERCURY COMET CYCLONE 2DR HARDTOP THAT HAS A Hi Po 289 CI. 271 HP 5 BOLT BELL HOUSING WHICH IS RARE BUT THIS CAR CAME WITH A 3 SPEED COLUMN SHIFT AND BUCKET SEATS WITH CONSOLE WHICH MAKES IT EVEN MORE RARE .THIS CAR WILL NEED RESTORATION BUT IT WILL BE A EASY RESTORATION. THIS CYCLONE WAS PURCHASED FROM JOHNNY HAAS MERCURY IN LAKEWOOD, COLORADO. I PURCHASED THIS VEHICLE FROM THE 2ND OWNER. HE DROVE THE CAR DAILY UNTIL 1981. HE PARKED THE CAR BEHIND HIS BUSINESS OUTSIDE UNDER A TREE WHERE IT STAYED UNTIL I DISCOVERED IT. ALL PARTS ARE WITH THIS CAR. I REMOVED MOST SO THAT ANY RUST COULD BE SEEN AND TO VERIFY NUMBERS. A VERY EASY RESTORATION. 1 THE ORIGINAL 5 BOLT 289 ENGINE CASTING # CYOE6015C DATE CODE 4A13 ORIGINAL FORD 271HP SOLID CAM STAMPED INVERTED A E ,SOLID LIFTERS, DUAL VALVE SPRINGS. 2 CYCLONES DID NOT HAVE DUAL EXHAUST THEY DID NOT USE Hi Po EXHAUST MANIFOLDS DUE TO THE LIMITED SPACE IN THE ENGINE BAY. 3 THE 271 HP OPTION WAS OFFERED IN 64 CYCLONES IN VERY LIMITED NUMBERS. ( IT WAS NEVER IN ANY CONSUMER LITERATURE ) ONLY A HANDFUL OF BATCH PRODUCED SPECIALITY CARS WERE OPTIONED THIS WAY ( MERCURY ONLY ISSUED TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS DESCRIBING THE PACKAGE ). 4 THE DSO CODE 84 = HOME OFFICE RESERVE INDICATES THAT THIS VEHICLE WAS A SPECIAL BUILT UNIT. 5 CYCLONES WERE INTRODUCED ON JAN. 17TH 1964 . THIS VEHICLE WAS PRODUCED ON JAN. 31ST 1964 . 15 DAYS AFTER CYCLONES WERE INTRODUCED THIS CAR WAS BUILT. 6 VERIFICATION WAS DONE WITH HELP OF THE RESTORATION & REFERENCE GUIDE BOOK MUSTANG AND FORD SMALL BLOCK V-8 1962-1969 VOLUMES 1&2. BY BOB MANNEL. 7 THE ORIGINAL ENGINE TAG IS WITH THE CAR IT READS: 289 DISPLACEMENT, 64 YEAR, 1 LEVEL CHANGE MEANS 5 BOLT BLOCK, 4A CALENDER YEAR -MONTH, 574 ENGINE #, A SUFFIX. ALL PARTS ARE WITH THE CAR EXECPT THE ORIGINAL CARBURETOR AND DISTRIBUTOR THEY WERE DISCARDED BY THE 2ND OWNER. BUT EVERYTHING ELSE COMES WITH THE CAR. THIS CAR WAS DISASSEMBLED TO VARIFY NUMBERS AND SEE HOW MUCH RUST COULD BE SEEN. THIS CAR IS A EASY RESTORATION. ALL PARTS DOWN TO NUTS AND BOLTS ARE IN ZIP LOCK BAGS AND LABELED IN PERMENANT MARKER. IT IS VERY RARE YOU SEE SOMEONE SO CAREFUL IN THE DISASSEMBLY OF A CAR THAT EVERY PART IS LABELED NUTS AND BOLTS INCLUDED. SO THAT ANYONE CAR PUT THIS CAR BACK TOGETHER. THATS WHAT MAKES YOU A REAL BUILDER. THIS CAR HAS RUST IN QUARTERS DUE TO LEAKING REAR WINDOW GASKET. PASSENGERS SIDE DOOR HAS A SPOT PREVIOUSLY FIX THAT IS STILL PUSHED IN ALITTLE. FLOOR PANS ARE GOOD THERE IS A TINY SPOT AT THE DRIVERS FEET,TORQUE BOXES ARE EXCELLENT.ALL STAINLESS STEEL TRIM IS IN REALLY GOOD SHAPE WINDSHEILD AND REAR WINDOW TRIM PIECES ARE EXCELLENT.DRIVERS SIDE DOOR GLASS IS BROKE ALONG WITH ONE BRAKELIGHT LENS.MISSING ORIGINAL WHEELS AND TIRES BUT WE WILL PROVIDE SOME WHEELS AND TIRES TO MOVE IT AROUND. STILL HAS ORIGINAL DASH TACH. I AM SURE IM LEAVING SOMETHING OUT THE PICTURES SHOULD SHOW THE CONDITION OF THE CAR BUT IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO THE OWNER OF THIS CAR YOU CAN CALL HIM HE CAN ANSWER ANY QUESTION YOU MIGHT HAVE. THIS CAR IS VERY RARE AND WOULD BE A GREAT INVESTMENT GO TRY TO FIND ONE WITH THESE OPTIONS OR WITHOUT SEE HOW RARE THEY ARE. SELLING DUE TO HEALTH PROBLEMS. BUYER IS RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL TRANSPORTATION WE WILL HELP WITH LOADING IF NEEDED. REMEMBER THIS VEHICLE IS APART IN PIECES BUT THE PARTS ARE TAGGED AND BAGGED. I HAVE MANY DIFFERENT PHOTOS OF THIS CAR EMAIL ME WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE AND I WILL SEND THEM TO YOU. I CAN ALSO SEND ANY INFO. YOU MAY WANT TO VERIFY THE HISTORY OF THIS CAR I HAVE THE BOOKS TO PROVE IT, SO COME ON AND CHALLENGE ME . RANDY THANKS FOR GIVING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO SELL THIS SUPER RARE CYCLONE. THANKS FOR LOOKING AT MY AUCTION

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

auction link

[Blocked Image: http://i4.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/9e/df/6a1e_12.JPG]

[Blocked Image: http://i9.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/9e/df/7406_12.JPG]

[Blocked Image: http://i20.ebayimg.com/01/i/000/9e/df/751c_12.JPG]

[Blocked Image: http://i14.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/9e/df/7af3_12.JPG]

• Hi

I do not think it is a hipo 289 Comet Cyclone it should have the shock tower to firewall brace should be bolt on not welded. All 64 Comet Cyclone came with a K in the vin but that is a 289 210hp with a 4v carb.

Mike

• Your right as that's just one of the details along with some others.Almost everybody with any kind of Ford or Mercury with a code K in it serial number thinks it's a Hipo car.

• I emailed the seller and he said the car was one of the first ones built. He said it was the 15th one after they introduced them , the came with a 289 2v and it had the hipo kit installed by the Mercury dealer so that is why it has welded brace under hood and no nine inch rear end.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I emailed the seller and he said the car was one of the first ones built. He said it was the 15th one after they introduced them , the came with a 289 2v and it had the hipo kit installed by the Mercury dealer so that is why it has welded brace under hood and no nine inch rear end.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Good job, Mike. I suspected that car isn't a factory HiPo, especially because it has a 2 digit DSO...

• Official Post

The 574 Engine code tag is for a 289 4V non Hipo. The crank sprocket is the standard wide sprocket and not the narrower one for a Hipo. The heads are Hipo.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

The 574 Engine code tag is for a 289 4V non Hipo. The crank sprocket is the standard wide sprocket and not the narrower one for a Hipo. The heads are Hipo.

-Fred-

Exactly...it's likely someone bought an over the counter "Cobra Kit" with heads and cam to increase the performance of a regular-fuel 289 4 barrel. It appears to be a major project to restore this Comet, and probably will cost more to complete than the car will be worth in the end...

• He updated his listing but still calling it "special".Glad to hear that so many guys have e-mailed him with a good lesson on what he doesn't have!...Rough car and can't believe the price on it as it is just a plain Comet?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!