Radio lamp replacement -

• I've made some inquiries and done some Google searches but can't find a definative set of instructions on replacing a burned out lamp in a 65-66 AM radio. All I've gotten so far is 'you need to remove the front bezel' confirmend by a few and getting a chuckle or two from others. On the Mustang Monthly web site you get a lot of references but their search engine lists 10 pages of anything that has replacement, radio or lamp in it. I replaced one about 20 years ago but the details are "cloudy". Anybody got a link on how to do this? I'm asking for me as well as someone else with the same situation that asked me.

Jim

• The Motorola radios are real easy to replace the bulb as the chrome bezel is only held in with a few screws. The Philco radios, the bezel is part of the entire front of the radio and there are a bunch of screws that have to come out.

Regardless, either radio, you have to remove the front bezel/face to get to the bulb. Once the bezel is off, should be self-explanatory.

• I got to that point but the power transistor bothered me. It looked like it needed to come out and I didn't want to un-solder the leads. At that point I put everything back together and went onto something else.

Forget all that stuff up there, I got a burned out GE 1891 in my fingers and here's how I done it:

For a 66 Philco radio (marked 6TPZ, accompanied with a dash of JD No. 7)

- Remove knobs.

- Remove retaining nuts on shafts.

- Using a 1/4 spintight, loosen the two top screws from the chassis. You do not need to remove the top cover.

- Remove the four screws on the front near the knobs, two about 1 1/4 inch long, two about 5/8 inch long. You do not need to mess with the power transistor screws, it will swing to the right with the bezel.

- Pull the bezel over the push buttons, swing it to right.

- Adjust the dial to the left end, like 560 on the dial.

- With a pair of needle nose pliers, twist the aluminum dial marker (it's the got the blue plastic cover on it) tab on the right hand side (visible from the top) so it's up and down.

- Bend down the tab on the left side of the dial marker horizontal by pushing down and gently pry the dial marker off.

- The burned out bulb is now accesable. With my nimble fingers, I reverted to my left hand to twist the bulb from it's socket.

- Reassembly is your problem (I'll do mine tomorrow).

I would also recomend that you get a lot of spare bulbs before the end of the year because an act of a damndemocrat (yes, it is one word) congress made them illegal as of Jan 1, 2012.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

"............... I would also recomend that you get a lot of spare bulbs before the end of the year because an act of a damndemocrat (yes, it is one word) congress made them illegal as of Jan 1, 2012.

Jim

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

as far as automotive bulbs go, at best, you are misinformed.

Z.

• My understanding is only 100 watt incandescent bulbs will be banned on Jan 1, 2012 with 40 watt and higher being further banned as of Jan 2014.

Seems all those puny dash light bulbs are safe for now...

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• California has a quicker light bulb ban on the books and they (the media and elected officials) don't say anything about it. Don't agitate the peons. At the local auto parts store (it used to be Kragans), the counter guys said the company is pushing LED bulbs and reducing the inventory of standard types. Halogen bulbs used in cars and the home are exempt for now. 4 foot 40W (F40T12) are being replaced by a 25W T8 and they are not interchangable, you will need new fixtures.

For cars who knows. Stock up.

Jim

• For those of you who don't know the specifics in 2007 former president George W. Bush signed the Energy Independence and Security Act (EISA) into law. The provisions in this law are intended to reduce energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions and enable the US to be less dependent on foreign sources of oil. It's a rather sweeping set of changes, but the change most relevant to consumers is probably the phaseout of 40W, 60W, 75W, and 100W standard incandescent light bulbs.(Standard household bulbs)

The EISA provides for a three year phaseout schedule that starts with inefficient 100W incandescents in 2012. The next year will see 75W incandescents gone, and the third year will phase out 60W and 40W bulbs. In addition to the phaseout, the law sets minimum standards for general service incandescent light bulbs, making it necessary for you to replace old inefficient incandescents with new energy efficient lighting.

There are three technology options for replacing incandescent light bulbs; halogen, compact fluorescent, and solid state (LED). New halogen light bulbs will be in wattages compliant with new maximum rated wattages. The new wattages replace the old as follows; instead of 40W, 60W, 75W, and 100W, maximum rated wattages will be 29W, 43W, 53W, and 72W. You can expect new halogen bulbs to be designed to look just like old incandescents, and because halogens are a form of incandescent light bulb you can use them in any place you're currently using incandescents.

The other two energy efficient options (CFL and LED) use a lot less energy than even halogens, but have drawbacks of their own. Compact fluorescent light bulbs are very energy efficient and come in nearly any color temperature you could want, but they do contain very small amounts of toxic mercury so they must be handled with care and disposed of/recycled carefully. LED light bulbs do not contain mercury, but are currently extremely expensive, limiting their use to commercial and business applications for now.

At this point there is no mention of automotive service bulbs being legislated out, but it is becoming more difficult to find automotive miniature lights as more and more new cars are using LED or other types of lighting technology. A lot of auto parts stores are not carrying them due to limited demand. (why waste shelf space on a slow moving item?) so the suggestion to stock up when you can is probably a good one but not because of this law.

My 2 cents

• Robert, well said.

The incandescent bulb industry cannot survive on minature bulbs alone, so, by default, they will slowly dissapear, being replaced by LEDs and who knows what else.

In my dissassembly instructions, add:

- Remove the four short screws on each side of the chassis to the bezel.

Tips for reassembly;

- Make sure the new bulb works first (the "on-off" switch must be in the "on" position).

- The small tabs on the aluminum inner bezel are a bit difficult but can be bent back to their original configuration by a screwdriver.

- Clean up the inner surfaces as long as you are in there, after all, its been 45 years.

- A bit of "juggling" may be necessary to get the knobs and shafts in the proper position, the bezel to slide in and the holes to line up.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

".................but it is becoming more difficult to find automotive miniature lights as more and more new cars are using LED or other types of lighting technology. A lot of auto parts stores are not carrying them due to limited demand. (why waste shelf space on a slow moving item?) so the suggestion to stock up when you can is probably a good one but not because of this law.

My 2 cents

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

so far all the NAPA stores around here (TX) have all the small bulbs in stock and available.

Z.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!