Error in factory vin. stamping

• Caspian 65 have you, or anyone else out thier in mustang land ever heard of a mustang , having an error in the factory vin. stamping? I have a one owner 1965 San Jose built factback which was built on Sept. 28th,1964. This car has an 07 or coupe designation , instead of 09 or fastback . I have the original pink slip which has the correct 09 designation, along with the original door tag also with the correct 09. I also have the original black plates, with the same plate number as on the original pink slip. I also have the original mustang manual filled out as a 2+2 fastback,signed by the original owner, Lilly who drove the car until her husband put her in a nursing home, and sold the car to me.Can anyone tell me if they have ever heard of this kind of thing happening in the factory vin stampings? Please help Domenic R. Mamone

• If it's a case of being the correct VIN numbers but the body style is the only error it's entirely possible. It sounds like your documentation is in order, and all the other variables are consistent with the car. Have you checked all three of the VIN stampings yet?

• Yeah, it happens, but there are also situations where a complete good front clip from a Mustang "donor" car is attached to the rear of another Mustang sometimes with different body styles. In "The Mustang Production Guide, Vol 1", there are a few legitimate changes and I found one myself at a swap meet where the VIN was changed from 5F08D192898 to 5F08F205641 with the first number "V"ed out. The 289CID engine must have failed and the only available V8 was a 260CID. There are two (possibly three) VINs in the engine compartment, the visible one on the left, a second under the edge of the fender on the right by the hinge and a third on the left by the hinge. The door and registration should also match so you may have to pull the right fender to check.

Jim

• No i have not pulled the passenger side fender back to see how they did on that side, but i have owned, and been around enough mustang's to know where all the factory spot welds are suppose to be, and more importantly exactly what they should look like. This car is a very early fastback.It has the early hood with turned down edges in front. Heater, defroster off in the middle,am radio with less station.Sill plates with square edges, early date coded radiator ect. ect. In calf. they kept the same licence plates,i have the black plates , which match the original pink slip, which has the same vin. number with the 09 or fastback desination. No one could has found a san jose coupe, with the same vin. continuation number, except for God . Thank you for the help, Domenic R.Mamone

• I have seen 2 early mustangs,both from the San Jose factory which made that same mistake with the 07 or 09.In both cases they restamped it above with the corrected number and stamped a V next to the incorrect number.

• I recently saw a C stamping on GT A code car. All of the panels where stamped with C instead of an A and the door tag was the correct A code. The correct hangers, rearend bumper and frame rails were present. Human error was always a factor with early Mustangs since they were mainly built by hand with not a lot of automation.

• The VIN stamping was done by a machine, but it had to be loaded with the correct dies - this is where errors occured and the machine could be "hit" twice causing the double stamps we see.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!